View Single Post
Re: Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl?
Old
  (#8)
fireman257 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Anyone know how to work with Tolex/vinyl? - 08-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Ok not sure if I am to late to add 2 cents or not but here goes . To get the tolex off a bit easier take a damp NOT WET towel and use a house iron dont hold it to long and you will have to re dampen the towel but place towel on where you want to peal it off and then run iron over to get it good and hot and it should peal off easier. before putting tolex on you will need contact cement get the yellow looking type not the bluish kind for counter tops I would do this on a warm day lay your tolex or vinal out side in the sun let it get good and warm always trim it a little larger then you need but pre cut it before you warm it. what will happen after you glue it and it cools it will get nice and tight if you put it on cold it wont get as tight over lap seems and then use a strait edge and a razor and cut through both peaces on your main seam then peal off access it is an art form to do this if you can I would practice a bit with some cheap cloth from like wal-mart on triming and stuff not gluing it. well hope this helps a bit any way .