Thread: Weekend report!
View Single Post
Re: Weekend report!
Old
  (#24)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Weekend report! - 10-27-2008, 09:31 AM

Two weekends ago I went camping with El Krashpadito and his Scout troop to Wekiwa Springs. Here's some pics and stuff.

Stopped at the turnpike's Okahumpka service plaza on the way down for a bathroom break, and they had some sort of "official greeter" guy who let the kids pitch pennies. Here' Jack and his friends Tim and Derrick:

We arrived well after dark Friday night. Pitch black outside. On the way in we saw this sign (this photo taken the next day):

Here's the campsite (taken Sunday morning after the weather turned cool), adults in foreground, Shark patrol (newer Scouts) behind, older Scouts in distance:

Saturday morning, after breakfast, we got in the vehicles and went to a different part of the park and pulled Ceasar weed (a non-native invasive plant) for several hours, that's Jack on the left:

After the weed-pulling we returned to camp for lunch. Then a 4-mile (round trip) hike to the springs. I just put my feet in as I did not want to trudge back soaking wet or bother with changing clothes. Jack and the other scouts did go swimming though, even though it was overcast. I did take a shower in the outdoor shower stalls back at camp before dinner though. That spring water was cold!

I didn't take any shots of the springs but you can see what they look like a few posts above.

After dinner we had some speakers talk about the history of the Wekiva River (springs are spelled "Wekiwa," river is with a "v") and Native Americans, including paleo-Indians and the later Miccosukee and Timucuan tribes. Saw a lot of arrowheads and spear points, some were ancient and others had been made by the speakers. One of the speakers, David White Wolf, is a Native American, and at the end of the presentation he did the traditional men's dance that shows how the wolf taught the Indians to hunt. Here is David in full regalia:

More pics in another post.