View Single Post
What is "vintage?"
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default What is "vintage?" - 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM

Now, I realize there's a distinction between "collectible" and "vintage." Something brand new can be collectible, and something old may not be collectible.

But it struck me seeing the threads in this area that different people appear to have highly different ideas about what constitutes "vintage."

Obviously, we can all agree that something new is not "vintage." But how old does something have to be to be vintage? Does the minimum age change depending on the type of article (for example, is the cut-off for a vintage auto different than the cut-off for a vintage guitar or amp)?

To me, of the existing threads here, only one (about the '60's Vox AC-30) actually is about what I would consider "vintage" gear. The others had to do with stuff made in the 90's! To me, while that's used gear, and maybe collectible, it's not "vintage." I'd consider anything from the 60's and back as safely "vintage." The 70's is on the cusp, 80's... not so much. 90's not at all.

What are your thoughts on defining the term "vintage" in this context? Should this subforum instead be called "Vintage & Collectible?"

Discuss!