View Single Post
Re: My Vintage Guitars
Old
  (#7)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My Vintage Guitars - 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
Wow Brian, I didn't see this thread until now. Those are some amazing pieces of history that you have there. The first one, the Fender, is absolutely beautiful. That bare wood with lemon oil really brings out the beauty. Do you still have any of these?

Is that Checkered coloured Cheap Trick guitar yours?

Unfortunately, I don't have any vintage guitars. I had a couple 1950s Danelectros. They had lipstick pickups... pretty neat guitars.
I still have the Fender Duo-Sonic. It's the one guitar I need to have work done on. My 2 oldest are the Breadwinner, which I recently had brought up to "giggable," and the Duo. Unfortunately the Duo has some fret issues for the 3 lowest ("cowboy chord") frets, and my luthier buddy (and a former bandmate, briefly) at my local m&p says he doesn't do fretwork any more. I need to get it playable again.

The "Cheap Trick" guitar was mine. It was an awful guitar, as cool as I made it look. Basically I just slathered the whole bastard in white paint, drew out a grid with a ruler in pencil (!), and filled in the black squares as time permitted with a small paint brush. As a kid I built models so I was pretty good at such free-hand painting. It does look good at a distance, I'll admit. I hung it up as a wall ornament over our bumper-pool table in the house I lived in at in law school (the same house from the "porch shot" above). I have a photo of the "game room" of that house (lovingly referred to, for good reason, as "The Pit") somewhere and will see if I can scan it and post it here to show you its final resting place.

I have no idea where the "Sears Special/Cheap Trick" guitar ever ended up.