View Single Post
Re: looking for a "first" electric guitar
Old
  (#15)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: looking for a "first" electric guitar - 03-07-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman257
I would look for one that has a humbucker pickup with a coal taps that would be about the most versatile one you can get the fatness of a hummbucker and the sparkle clean of a single I saw some squires that have this setup kind of humbucker in the bridge and then 2 singles one in center and one in neck this would be a good start but might have to swap out the bridge to a 4 wire humbucker and tap it your self but thats not hard and they can be found at a fair price. Hope this 2 cents helps a little.
The guitar you reference is a H-S-S Squier Strat, I'd bet. Sfaik the HB at the bridge does not have a coil split stock, he'd have to wire it up himslef.

Coil splits are cool, and certainly versatile, but I wouldn't think they're necessary on a beginner's guitar. Such a person is still learning the basics, including what single coils versus humbuckers even sound like.

However, if the person wanted something with both types of pickups, there are certainly tons of H-S-S Strats around with HB's at the bridge and singles elsewhere. Or superstrats with an H-S-H configuration. Another choice would be a "Fat" Telecaster of some sort, with a single in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck.