View Single Post
Re: Best amp you've ever owned.
Old
  (#3)
Put up or shut up!
MrSandMan has disabled reputation

Default Re: Best amp you've ever owned. - 06-22-2008, 09:53 AM

I had lots of favorite amps. Seems like I go through phases where I prefer one over the other. Though this might sound odd, I really enjoyed the Peavey XXX after doing a few simple swaps and matching it up with the right cabinet/speakers.

Another amp that I really like was the Mesa Boogie F-50 and F-100 series.

Right now I'm currently playing through a Mesa Boogie Road King. It's a lot of amp. It's loaded with four 6L6 and two EL34s (+ the 5UG4 rectifier tubes). You can run the amp at 50-watt or 100-watts. You can choose your power tube combination. For example, you can run any combination, whether it be two 6L6 and two EL34s, or just two EL34s, or two 6L6, or all of them 6L6 + EL34s. Amp has independent reverb for each channel, it has a triode switch... you can run in stereo or mono. The damn thing is... overwhelming. But nice.

With that said, I really like the dark and grainy.. crunchy Peavey XXX

I never owned a Fender.. I think that's an amp that I'd fall in love with. I played a combo at a music store in Denver Colorado about 8-years ago, I really thought it sounded amazing. I just don't remember what model it was... I'm thinking it was a Hot Rod, but I'm not sure.

I had a 1984 Marshall JCM800 (100-watts), That amp was really neat. I didn't get to play around with it as long as I'd like to have. It needed to be boosted and you had to play it loud to drive the tubes.

Lastly, the Laney GH-50L...ah...now that is a tone machine. I love playing lead guitar on that. It was sooo... fluidy / silky. Some compare it to a JCM800 on steriods. I think this could be true. However, it was switchable to 6L6's which is another feature that I really liked about it. If you get a laney GH-50L (Toni Iommi uses these) be sure to get a noise gate. They're noisy amps.

Long post with a lot of rambling (too much coffee today)- To sum it up, my pick goes to the Peavey XXX.

Visit http://gear-vault.com/ for guitar reviews