View Single Post
Re: What are your favorite pickups?
Old
  (#6)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: What are your favorite pickups? - 08-31-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan
How would you compare the Seymour to stock Gibby's? Seems stock LP Gibson's are desired pickups too.
I haven't tried any of the more "trad" style Gibson pickups like the 57 Classics or PAF pro's. They are very popular though, and I'd bet I'd like them. Right now for that lower-output alnico HB sound I use my DeArmond Jet Star.

My Studio Doublecut has Gibson's hotter alnico pair, the 490R and 498T, which are like a slightly mellower Jazz/JB kinda. I like them a lot as well. The LP Classic came with ceramic pickups, which are not very popular, hotter than the alnico's, but I thought they were fine. The only reason I went with a Duncan in the bridge is because the stock one died.

I used to have a Les Paul Special with stacked P-100 soapbars in it. They were OK but I much prefer the sound of a true single coil P-90, even a cheapie ceramic magnet one (which I have in my Agile Valkyrie), much less more trad/less hot alnico P-90's (like the Duncans in my Hamer or Designeds in my Schecter). Have yet to own a guitar with actual Gibson P-90's, but it's a real possibility at some point.