View Single Post
Re: My Vintage Guitars
Old
  (#3)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My Vintage Guitars - 06-07-2008, 08:35 AM

Today's selection is "the one that got away." Of all the guitars I've sold, traded, or lost (to theft, I've never actually just "lost" one before) this one is the one I kinda miss.

This was a black Ric 430.

Mine had some minor playability problems, which probably could've been solved by a little setup work. However, this was back in the 80's when I didn't really know anything about guitars (for the longest time I didn't even know there was a preferred way to wind strings, etc.), so I sold it. I don't remember how much I paid for it or got on resale, probably under $200, definitely not much more than that.

The 430 was designed in part with Forrest White, formerly of Fender. The Fender influence is obvious, as this guitar features a bolt on neck and a simplified, stripped down ("plank" body with no contours or archtop) styling arguably reminiscent of the Fender Telecaster. The original version of this model reportedly actually had a 6-a-side Fender-type headstock, although I haven't ever seen one like that. These guitars were introduced in the early 70's and dropped in the early 80's. One almost never sees them any more. In addition to matte black, they were also available in natural woodgrain and in brown. The pickups were Ric Hi-Gains, the same single-coil that's on the Ric 620 I have today.

The above pics are ones found on the web, as digital photography didn't really exist in the early 80's when I owned this (my best guess is around 1982-83), Here's a scanned pic of me on my front porch that shows the actual Ric, to our left. Other guitars shown are: my Duo-Sonic, an old Vega archtop (subsequently "borrowed" by my brother, who still has it, originally owned by our dad), the Breadwinner, my acoustic, and the Sears guitar mentioned in my first post above, after it had been turned into "wall art."

I won't do a separate post for the Vega. When I had it it was a "project" guitar with no bridge or electronics. Similarly, I don't have any good pics of the Sears guitar, so the above pic will have to suffice for those two.