Thread: My Vintage Amps
View Single Post
Re: My Vintage Amps
Old
  (#3)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My Vintage Amps - 05-25-2008, 11:30 PM

Everyone must be gone for the holidays!

Anyhow, next up is the real crown jewel of the collection, a 1966 Fender Super Reverb. I got it for real cheap because it had been modded ina bunch of ways that collectrors would hate but I didn't care about. First, it'd been cut in half!

A Super is usually a 4x10 combo amp, which is how this one began. A prior owner had cut it in two, so that the top half is a 2x10 combo amp, with a 2x10 extension cab on the bottom, like this:

The original speakers had been replaced with Sunn Magna 108's, which my amp guy seems to think are just as nice if not better than the original speakers.

Here's a pic of the actual amp, years later, with some of her friends, out in the gear room, uh, garage, at Casa Krashpad (second from left):

Here she is with all my acoustic instruments:

Anyhow, the Super was purchased around 1991 for $300. The other founding member of the first band I fronted, Smart Bomb, hooked me up with a buddy of his who sold it to me. It still had the original tubes! This was my main rig in Smart Bomb and for the early years of my next main band, Crash Pad, untill I got a Sovtek head and an '80's Laney AOR Series 4x12 flat front cab (in the garage pic above,on the other side of the Kustom). At that point I retired the Super from reglar gigging but still use her from time to time for special occasions. Wonderful 40W amp that had no problem at all keeping up with my Crash Pad bandmate's JCM 2000 4x12 100W halfstack. I now also have a 2x12 horizontal cab (open back, 2 Celestion silverbacks, seen on end in the last pic above) that I sometimes pair with the 2x10 combo top, so it becomes a 2x12+2x10, rather than two 2x10's.