View Single Post
Re: is it really worth it?
Old
  (#4)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: is it really worth it? - 07-09-2007, 12:36 AM

depends on how handy you are with a soldering iron :-O i got a black "jimi hendrix" re-issue fuzz face, it sounded like a cat dying, pulled out dunlop's "extra" parts, changed it back to a PNP device, and threw in some germanium transistors i stole out of an ancient radio, it sounds on par with the first run fuzz faces, have about nothing invested in it..... as opposed to buying a real vintage FF for a few hundred, it might not have the look, but i'm more a guy that gets off on sounds than looks heh, but if you want the vintage sounds, you are not going to get them from new era machine, might get a close approximation, but not THE sound, besides there is something organic about vintage items, it's hard to explain unless you do or have used them, most vintage effects and specifically amps, are sort of like an instrument on their own, they seem almost alive at times, they respond differently to the way you play, i can tell you straight up, a DS-1 Vs. a fuzz face, any fool can get a useable sound from a DS-1(at least as useable as the sound of a DS-1 is :-P) but you really have to work to get a fuzz face to sound good

stuff it....... then bake it.......