View Single Post
NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!)
Old
  (#1)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default NBTD! (New Bobbin Toppers Day!) - 09-23-2008, 08:46 AM

So anyhow I always thought that the black-bobbined open-coil humbuckers on my Les Paul Classic looked a little plain. Since the honeyburst comes with creme binding, creme pickup rings, and creme pickguard, I figured a creme/black zebra pickup would look cool.

Only problem: as you all know, I'm a notoriously cheap bastard. I'd already replaced a dead bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Custom V, and that alone could totally besmirch my cheap bastard cred for decades. So I wasn't about to change pickups just to have zebras instead of black.

The answer of course, is Bobbin Toppers, a little vinyl press-on cover that can make your pickup look any color you want. So I went to universaljems.com, here's the subpage for Bobbin Toppers:

http://www.universaljems.com/cart/bobbin.htm

Brian over there hooked me up with a couple of creme toppers, they're like $2 apiece, so all told with shipping my order was a whopping $6 or so. They came in a matter of days. They're a little tricky to get on, but once you've got 'em the way you want, from a foot away you'd never know your pickup wasn't the real deal.

Anyhow, for the before and after makeover shots! Here's Cassie before:

And here she is after: