View Single Post
Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV.
Old
  (#2)
n00b!
Monster Factory is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Eminence vs Celestion Vs EV. - 02-25-2008, 03:25 PM

I wrote Eminence off for years as a serious rock speaker mainly due to their close Fender association. They used them in their crunchier amps, but I still never took them serious. It wasn't until I took notice that Soldano used the Legends in their SLO cabs that I began to even think much about them.

As for Celestion comparisons, which Legend? I don't know about the 60W, only the 50W (GB128), 75W (1258), 100W (V128), and 150W (1218) models. The GB128, V128, and 1218 models are British voiced. FWIW, I've used the Swamp Thang as a V30 replacement, which has a touch more bottom end response, smoother mids, and loads more power handling. I'll probably go with Weber's Ceramic 12V, though, on any future V30 type cabs unless someone specifically requests the Swamp Thang... or unless it happens to be an actual Swamp Thang cab (image is everything, right?)

If you go to my website, select any amp or X-Cab model in the Boneyard series, and click on the Speaker hyperlink, I describe all of the Weber speakers I use in those amps/cabs and I compare them to popular models, including EV and Celestion. Weber is a high end speaker and can help make even a crappy amp sound good. I mention these as a possible alternative.

Hope it helps...