View Single Post
Re: My Vintage Amps
Old
  (#2)
Brian Krashpad is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My Vintage Amps - 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM

Hello-o-o...

Dang it's quiet around here!

At any rate, the Kustom 100 has one more swtich I didn't mention, the on-off! It's on the back, and is a 3-way switch. Center
is "off," right and left are "on," but with different polarity to reduce risk of shock (the power cord is only a 2-prong).

The cabinet is loaded with the original J.B. Lansing (recognize the intitials?-- JBL) 15" speaker, and has 2 "tone ports" in the front grill. I have no idea whether there was any science behind them, but they were included on many Kustom guitar cabs of the period.

Anyhow, I saw this amp, along with a blue Ovation Breadwinner I also purchased, in the window of a pawn shop in downtown Jacksonville FL circa 1980. Iirc it cost me $200 or $225. It was my main (and only giggable) amp for the next 9 years. The head's tone is not that great, kind of harsh and "clang-y," even with the bass all the way up and treble almost all the way down.

But the thing is pretty indestructible-- it has never had any repairs for as long as I've owned it, except to put a new bulb in the jewel light. Also, for about a year I actually played bass through this at gigs and it still didn't get damaged! Although the tone of the head isn't great, the speaker cab is marvy. I still use the cab from time to time to this day:

More on other amps later! Everyone (in the US) have a safe holiday weekend.

Questions and comments encouraged!