View Single Post
Re: Potting Pickups "How To" step by step
Old
  (#5)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: Potting Pickups "How To" step by step - 03-12-2008, 09:50 PM

think what i said got mis-interperted :-D

unpotted pick-up are similar to (not exactly like) an acoustic with a microphone and a peizo pick-up, you get a nice acoustic sound from the mic, and a "controlled" sound from the peizo, both are similar but different...

potted pick-ups are like same get-up as above, but take the mic completely out of the picture, it still sounds like an acoustic guitar, but you lose most of what you hear by ear and replace it with the sterile sound of the peizo

in shorted form

potted pick-up = pure electric signal no acoustic interaction

un-potted pick-up = pure electric signal with some acoustical interaction

need a little proof, crank your amp with a guitar without potted pups and yell in the pick-up you can hear it in the amp, with potted pups you can yell and scream til you're blue and won't hear it.

both are different sounds, i'm not saying potting is good one way or anyother, what i am saying is if you like that airy acoustic interaction you don't want to pot your pups :-) i personally can deal with a little microphonic feedback in order to get the interaction.... but it's become part of my signature....

in closing i was not telling folks i am a guitar guru, and don't pot your pups because of this or that, just saying before you just go ahead and do it know what you are getting in for, cause you can't undo it :-)

stuff it....... then bake it.......