View Single Post
Re: What is "vintage?"
Old
  (#2)
floydmoline is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to floydmoline Send a message via MSN to floydmoline Send a message via Yahoo to floydmoline  
Default Re: What is "vintage?" - 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM

to me pre 70's is classic, 80's is vintage, 90's is mostly junk, and modern isn't much different than 90's lol

i think it is based on your age, things that are old and god like to me because i have never actually seen or played one, take on a mythical status, while a guy that is no more than 10 years older who was around at the tail end of production of a specific item, or in it's hey day and saw it everywhere when it was new, i'd be nothing special

example: i seriously doubt that hendrix thought a fuzz face was special when it was new.

although effects and guitars are different animals
effects a modern repo can sound the same as the vintage gear, things have gotten better, but most re-issues don't sound the same because companies change things, for the most part effect designers are not guitar players, they are electrical engineers, and just because a design is better electrically, and more efficient don't mean it sounds good dunlop pedals are perfect examples.

guitars i can say are NOT made like they used to be, in the 60's, and most of the 70's even CHEAP student guitars were built better than mid to high range guitars are today....... you have to buy a custom shop guitar, or pay a premium for a master build guitar to get the same quality that "student" guitars were back in the day....... this new thing of building everything from plywood really pisses me off

my 2 cents worth, people really get fooled by slick sales people, and think they hear voodoo and mojo in electronics that aren't really there..... there is a difference between a 60's Ge fuzz and a 70's+ Si fuzz, but those red fuzz faces from the 70's are Si and sound the same as something that could be built today.... ergo not worthy of a huge tag or the worship they get...... but guitars are made different, and age different, 20-30 year old wood is sifferent than new wood, and plywood guitars are never going to get better, investing in a guitar made of plywood is ok for a beater but the instrument will never improve nor will it gain any value.

stuff it....... then bake it.......