Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customization (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Plectrum preference? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410)

Redline68 04-27-2008 07:18 PM

Plectrum preference?

I used to use Fender 351 Premium Celluloid in Heavy or something similar. A couple months ago I picked up some Snarling Dogs Brain Picks and now I mostly use those. The little raised bumps on the Brain picks make them easy to hold onto.

How about you?

MrSandMan 04-27-2008 07:52 PM

Re: Plectrum preference?

I used good ol fashioned Dunlop mediums. 4 for a buck :jumpgrin:

Never used Fender 351 Premium Celluloid or Brain picks. But they do look interesting! :sweet:

ninja636 04-29-2008 07:32 AM

The purple Dunlop Tortex. But when I want some searing harmonics, I use a quarter.

matt31 04-29-2008 02:12 PM

Hmm never tried using a quarter...sounds interesting

Redline68 04-29-2008 06:19 PM

I've never tried pocket change. I'll have to remember that the next time I'm without a pick.

characterzero 04-30-2008 11:19 PM

I usually just use Fender mediums. I've tried using change from when I can't find a pick, but I don't like coins too much (I think I was using a penny though, a quarter might play better). Also I folded up dollars to use as lighter picks, but they're not good. Just really big or thick and occasionally got stuck on a string. It was just an attempt to find something that acted similarly to a thinner pick.

Anyone use those mini looking picks? I've been trying to figure out what they're for, do they help you play faster or something?

MetalMac 05-03-2008 02:43 AM

Dunlop Jazz III and Dunlop Tortex 1.14.

Keep it Metal!!! :w:

jackal 05-03-2008 03:57 PM

i use to alway use those little dunlop jazz picks that are half the size and pointy, then i moved on to dunlop Heavy the transparent red ones. now i always use the dunlop tortex .78mm yellow, i don't think i'll stray from those again

Brian Krashpad 05-14-2008 03:00 PM

The most famous coin-user is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Supposedly he uses a Mexican peso. But he has also been know to stretch the truth when it comes to biographical facts, so who knows.

I would think a coin would ruin a finish right quick if one wasn't real careful.

I usually use Dunlop Tortex, most often the yello mediums, iirc they're 73 mm. Heavier for bass, I think those are blue or purple and 106 mm.

floydmoline 05-14-2008 06:52 PM

i use generic fender mediums, when i have them, but i have used pennies and dimes before, a quarter would be a bit too large for me to play with comfortably.......

THE most famous coin user the DOES for real use coins is Brian May, he uses a six-pence

ninja636 05-15-2008 08:19 PM

Damn... I thought I was on to something original. Oh well, I guess you you can learn something new from a guitar forum too! I have one quarter I use thats very special though, I put it on some train tracks and voila... nice new guitar pick.

characterzero 05-15-2008 11:07 PM

Just wondering, has anyone ever tried out those JelliFish picks? They're supposed to give you're guitar a 12 string effect, and the description says you can do bowing stuff with them, but they're really expensive for a pick. Any thoughts/experiences?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ELAID=26017837

ninja636 05-15-2008 11:11 PM

Yeah i've seen those too. But they look like something you could pick up at a hardware store.

Brian Krashpad 05-18-2008 08:12 AM

Btw, here's the pic that characterzero tried to post above:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...1/6/222216.jpg

Haven't tried them either. As with coins, those look to me like they could be awful hard on a guitar finish.

Is the brush part metal or plastic, anyone know?

ninja636 05-23-2008 07:34 PM

I take back what I said about looking like something out of a hardware store... it looks like a flea comb.

Edit: oh yeah, the wires are metal.

Brian Krashpad 05-25-2008 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja636
I take back what I said about looking like something out of a hardware store... it looks like a flea comb.

Edit: oh yeah, the wires are metal.

Ouch, bye-bye finish. I don't think I could be that careful.

parkco 11-07-2008 05:08 PM

I've recently been using a medium gauge String Dog Black Snapper. I ran across an offer that they would send me a freebie and if I liked it, I'd spread the word. I'm holding up my end of the deal here. I got a free pick (big deal) out of it, but very sincerely it's the best pick I've ever used. I think there must be something about the elasticity of the delrin material that differs slightly from the .71 tortex (yellow) that I've been using for years. These black snappers also have a very nice texture. They're smooth, but grip well. Honestly, and I know it sounds unlikely, but the pick has made me feel a little more confident in my playing. It's hard to quantify, but there is definitely something about these picks. Google stringdog.

ninja636 11-10-2008 05:33 PM

Lately I've been using Dunlop "Big Stubbies", or Gator Grip 2.0mm's. I like 'em big and thick. Downside, I break a lot of strings, broke low E twice this week. I guess thats why I started buying D'Addario XL's in bulk.

Turbo_Hasse 11-17-2008 08:03 AM

Dunlop Tortex .88 and Jazz III's.

Turbo_Hasse 02-18-2009 03:40 PM

Change that, Dunlop Tortex .60 and .73

crazy_guitar_man 02-18-2009 06:56 PM

i like the ones that have the alien on them

Powerslave214 07-02-2009 03:34 AM

Dunlop Ultex Jazz III's. :sweet:

StickMan 09-30-2009 10:02 PM

Fairly heavy George Dennis rounds. IMHO the shape is faster than the 351 triangle and the nylon material has a better tone than JD's.

I have one of the Jellyfish picks and the teeth are actually wound guitar strings - low E's I think.

caddy_v_ml 11-08-2009 11:11 PM

I have picks made from ivory tusk. :w: :w:

Powerslave214 12-09-2009 03:48 AM

I really like the new Max Grip Jazz III's.

Same material and shape, but with an embossed grip pattern.

beartronical 01-04-2013 02:23 PM

I think my favorite right now would have to be planet waves black ice picks. the xtra heavy variety. I have played with jazz III xl's for a long time but i like the feel of the black ice much better. Any other suggestions, styles that are similar that i should maybe try?

tjnugent 08-14-2013 09:31 AM

I use the Dunlop Tortex. I am not sure what the thickness is, but it is thick enough to dig in and flexible enough to play intricate chords and arpeggios. I have also tried Blue Chip picks. They are great.

MrSandMan 03-14-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjnugent (Post 8351)
I use the Dunlop Tortex. I am not sure what the thickness is, but it is thick enough to dig in and flexible enough to play intricate chords and arpeggios. I have also tried Blue Chip picks. They are great.

I use the same. Great picks