Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amps (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Just got a Blue Voodoo 60 H for cheap. It doesnt sound like Ass. Whats Wrong? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260)

V-Type 02-28-2008 03:11 PM

Just got a Blue Voodoo 60 H for cheap. It doesnt sound like Ass. Whats Wrong?

Ive owned the BV 120 and it was a pretty good and loud amp but the buzziness in the gain structure never let me get the gain past half way. I traded it even for my current GH50 two years ago.
Well my bud wanted my Bass and bass amp and offered up his BV60 Head and Jackson DXMG. Deal.
So this BV60 is one of the early ones with the extra blue face graphics going on. First off the Reverb tank was larger and sounded infinitely better than my 120. Next was the joy of using a lot more gain at volumes without the Ass sounding I got previously. Actually sounded like a Hot 800. And the clean channel was a nice and warm, chimey clean almost Fender like.
How guys cant get good tones from these is beyond me. The key though is using anything but stock Crate speakers IMO.
Im digging this low $$$ amp a lot. It nails Metallica as well as Queensryche and Ozzy. The presence control seems active on these as well. Cool amp for under $500 IMO.
Anyways Crate bashers wont like this post.

Monster 02-28-2008 04:42 PM

Re: Just got a Blue Voodoo 60 H for cheap. It doesnt sound like Ass. Whats Wrong?

the blue voodoo is a great amp.. take some time tweaking your sound set it up one way play with it for awhile... then next time you turn it on if it don't sound good tweak a bit more.. you get loads of good sounds from this amp.. :w:

MrSandMan 02-28-2008 05:27 PM

Re: Just got a Blue Voodoo 60 H for cheap. It doesnt sound like Ass. Whats Wrong?

I actually had the BV120 and I thought it wasn't too good.. tone wise. f-i-z-z-y*

Knowing what I know now, a tube change may have been in order. Some amps need 'tweaked' like that. Not too mention the matching Blue Voodoo cab probably didn't help. I'm not sure what they are loaded with. I unloaded the complete half stack for $450.

V-Type 02-28-2008 06:04 PM

Re: Just got a Blue Voodoo 60 H for cheap. It doesnt sound like Ass. Whats Wrong

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I actually had the BV120 and I thought it wasn't too good.. tone wise. f-i-z-z-y*

Knowing what I know now, a tube change may have been in order. Some amps need 'tweaked' like that. Not too mention the matching Blue Voodoo cab probably didn't help. I'm not sure what they are loaded with. I unloaded the complete half stack for $450.

Damn thats a good price. The stock Crate speakers are utter Shite and what usually comes with the BV cabs. I lucked out and found 2 BV cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's-60watters.
Talk about a night and day difference. Turned the BV from Meh too impressive. Also mine has a mix of 12ax7's and 7a's both JJ's and Ruby's.

MrSandMan 02-29-2008 01:20 AM

I would like to try the BV150H.

Actually I was going to ask Hoyt to look at the schematics of the BV150H to see what they based it off of.