Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who Boils their Guitar Strings? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519)

MrSandMan 07-10-2008 05:58 PM

Who Boils their Guitar Strings?

For you guys on a budget, boiling helps to lift grunge and crud off of old strings, making them sound and feel new again. It’s a good way to get some extra mileage out of your strings.

I usually just change the strings on my Electric guitars... but my acoustic gets boiled now and again. Anyone else do this?

ninja636 07-11-2008 08:16 PM

Re: Who Boils their Guitar Strings?

MMMM-MMMM! I love me some boiled string for dinner, especially with a side of screaming harmonics!! I do. But just my acoustics like you, I don't play it that often to warrant buying new strings for it very often.

indytruckboy 07-18-2008 07:03 AM

stringa are to cheap to take them off and boil :crazy:

ninja636 07-18-2008 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indytruckboy
stringa are to cheap to take them off and boil :crazy:

I don't like the cheap ones... they taste BAD. :biggrin:

MrSandMan 07-18-2008 08:55 PM

Cheap I know, but for some reason the acoustic strings gum up rather easily.

jeffreyliu838 07-18-2008 10:48 PM

Not for guitar...I do for bass strings though. Those are actually expensive.

ninja636 07-22-2008 10:17 PM

When you factor in the cost of gas to go and get a "cheap" set of strings,...it ain't so cheap anymore. If acoustic strings got sold in bulk(do they? I never really checked as I don't play my acoustic much.) I'd probably buy them, I just got my bulk D'Addario XL's the other day. Great buy, 25 sets of strings for like 89 bucks. Unfortunately the screws holding my Tremol-No spring claw in pulled out of the body while adjusting the action(too short), so my axe is down for now till I get two longer ones at the hardware store. :frownz:

MatrixClaw 08-30-2008 02:58 AM

I don't even change strings on my guitar until I want a different gauge, which happens maybe every 3 months :jumpgrin:

I've never noticed that much of a difference in sound from when they're new and when they're old and grimey. Not enough of a difference to justify spending 5 bucks on a new pair when the ones I have on their play better than new ones anyway :2thumbups:

:no:

jackal 09-14-2008 01:43 PM

Ernieball strings are what i use and there 3 bucks a pack, my local store is a block away so I don't need to boil them, but i remember when i was younger and broke i boiled a few set's, forgot all about that till your brought it up

Perfect Stranger 10-16-2008 05:19 AM

I used to do it back in the day. But now I just buy my strings from www.webstrings.com and they are excellent strings for $2.99 a set. Can't beat that...