Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   looking for a "first" electric guitar (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783)

cubis 02-03-2009 12:50 AM

looking for a "first" electric guitar

ok well technically i had an electric guitar for like 5 months when i was in highschool, but since it was a very intense year i didn't have a lot of time to play it and my mom pawned it when i was away on vacation with some friends

since then i have had an acoustic and have borrowed my friend's spare electric far too many times

well i am primarily a recording engineer, but i do like to make my own music and I was wondering what would be a good 'first' electric guitar, one that has a nice tone for recording, so that i can later add guitar amp model plugins and effects using pro tools or the like

any input would be greatly appreciated!

crazy_guitar_man 02-03-2009 12:39 PM

Re: looking for a "first" electric guitar

well i do not know about for recording but my first guitar was a squier 51...then i moved onto a epiphone lespaul...but yeah i really like the tone from the squier though it sounds good for a cheap guitar...

cubis 02-03-2009 02:10 PM

thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into it!

basically a guitar will be decent for recording if it has a clean tone, with not much coloration... that way it can be more easily manipulated for your needs

crazy_guitar_man 02-03-2009 02:20 PM

yeah the squier you can get probably for 100 to 200 and its a nice solid body, the epiphone was a les paul ultra i got mine for 600 and its a nice semi hollow body really decent for acoustic sounding when you have the switch up and very nice for leads when switch is down...so yeah overall i think it is all about your own preference so what you gotta do is go and try a bunch out and see which one is best for you

cubis 02-03-2009 02:28 PM

i'll probably hang out at guitar center for a few hours this weekend lol

i also like to play with the keyboards since they're all hooked up and ready to be f****ed with :P

crazy_guitar_man 02-03-2009 02:31 PM

yes that would be a good idea haha i like to make them seem like i can play drums then when i go try one out they find out that i can't haha but the keyboards are also fun haha

cubis 02-03-2009 02:38 PM

i can keep a basic beat on the drums, but i'm often discouraged to ask for a set of practice sticks because there are a lot of good drummers at my guitar center

crazy_guitar_man 02-03-2009 04:26 PM

yeah i go to just alittle shop in town haha they have all the good stuff just a smaller store and usually there is like noone there but the people working haha...as for drums i can keep like one beat if im lucky haha

Brian Krashpad 02-09-2009 02:55 PM

I'd consider looking at a used MIM Fender Strat or equivalent (such as a used '90's USA Peavey Predator). For a couple bills you'll have a good guitar that plays clean. Plus Strats are one of the more comfortable guitars around. Some people have problems with the weight of an LP or the slab body of a Tele, but Strats are pretty ergonomic.

crazy_guitar_man 02-09-2009 07:12 PM

when you mention the weight of the lp i thought that too untill i got my epiphone lp ultra which weighs about 5 lbs haha