Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customization (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Tips and Tricks Thread (home remedies to save $$$) (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338)

floydmoline 03-21-2008 01:18 AM

Re: The Tips and Tricks Thread (home remedies to save $$$)

gotta create some killer scratches..... i would think a tooth brush, or Q-tip would be sufficient

Monster 03-21-2008 11:19 AM

not a heavy duty wire brush, they have some wire brush but the wire that dont not hurt the board at all. and cleans the grutt out real good..

floydmoline 03-22-2008 12:47 AM

:-O ^^^ isopropyl alcohol makes a great cheap string cleaner

Monster 03-31-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydmoline
:-O ^^^ isopropyl alcohol makes a great cheap string cleaner

never thought about trying that i will try that now one of my guitars... great tip...

Brian Krashpad 04-05-2008 08:39 AM

Am assuming everyone knows how to fix a pulled-out strap pin, but just in case anyone doesn't, it's easy. Take a couple wooden toothpicks or matchsticks (if you use the latter, obviously break off the lightable tip!) broken off to the depth of the hole, put them in the pin hole, pour in a little bit of wood glue (white Elmer's-type glue is fine), then screw the strap pin back in , cleaning up any glue that squeezes out with a wet paper towel or cloth.

Ludwig 04-05-2008 12:17 PM

I used to play with a bass player that would boil his strings from time to time instead of replacing them. Seemed to work fine.

Brian Krashpad 04-06-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludwig
I used to play with a bass player that would boil his strings from time to time instead of replacing them. Seemed to work fine.

I've heard of thatr. But bass strings last for years, seems like it's just easier to put on a new set when one breaks.

characterzero 04-06-2008 08:44 PM

^ Yeah, I usually just let my bass strings keep going till one snaps. They're meant to last a long time. My tip would be instead of buying foot switches with pedals and amps, try making your own. They're relatively easy to make, and usually cheaper.

characterzero 04-07-2008 07:42 PM

Also, as another thread mentioned metal washers work as a great inexpensive alternative to strap locks.

Redline68 04-24-2008 09:25 PM

Another strap lock alternative........the red rubber washers off of a bottle of Grolsch beer. Just slip them on after the strap is installed normally. I'm sure they're not as foolproof as the metal washer method, but they're easy and come with a bottle of beer.