Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Acoustic Guitars (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Who plays electric and has an acoustic? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=169)

MrSandMan 12-27-2007 02:33 AM

Who plays electric and has an acoustic?

Ever sometimes feel like going acoustic just to get away from electric for awhile?

flyguitars 01-02-2008 05:15 PM

Re: Who plays electric and has an acoustic?

I have an acoustic next to my sofa at all times. Great for playing during the adverts, whilst watching TV.

A dash of country blues here and there is always good. Its a 12 string (though currently with just six strings) bought to play things like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9O-...eature=related

Pentatonic5 01-12-2008 06:33 PM

Besides my Ibanez Gio, i had a semi acoustic guitar to play when it's not suitable to make noise especially at night.
why semi? because i had Yamaha Electric Drum as well and sometimes my friends would drop by and jammed for a while.
semi acoustic allow me to plug it at pc speaker. (for rythm guitar or clean acoustic plucking.)

indytruckboy 02-03-2008 12:49 PM

I keep a Ibanez acoustic in the living room, for when I take the dog out/have a smoke. I don't know the model. It's got a diamond soundhole, and diamond inlays. Onboard eq, but more importantly, onboard tuner. I use it for dicking around.

MrSandMan 02-03-2008 03:33 PM

I tune my acoustic down do drop D :P Sounds so rich

Monster 02-28-2008 08:17 PM

i dont own a acoustic.. need to get one i suppose. :toast:

senor_penguin 03-05-2008 12:03 AM

^ I'm selling my Takamine :2thumbups:

I play both. My dad has some kind of custom acoustic from a small luthier in louisiana. It's a Peterson and it is the most amazing acoustic I have ever played.

floydmoline 03-05-2008 10:30 AM

i have a cheap hondo from the 80s that is more or less my main guitar heh, electrics are kinda hard to play around my house without a whole lotta bitchin from the family :-O

Brian Krashpad 03-12-2008 01:37 AM

I still have the acoustic I learned to play on. And have bought an acoustic 12-string as well.

I have lots of electrics but acoustics are fun, and good for camping trips and such.

floydmoline 03-12-2008 02:15 PM

imo acoustic guitars are the ultimate rythem guitar in a band, it's worked for alot of bands.... acoustics have a nice woody tone LOL...... all kidding aside some of my favorite stuff is from heavy bands doing "unplugged" gigs..... breaking benjamin is a perfect example, youtube their unplugged shit, good heavy band GREAT acoustic band....... and acoustics can be just as heavy as an electric.....

MetalMac 03-28-2008 03:19 AM

I like acoustic quite a bit. I have been trying to get a Takamine 12 string for awhile now. I really like the chorus sound. :w:

Redline68 04-05-2008 10:23 AM

Probably 30% of my playing is on acosutic. Sometimes I don't pick it up for 7-10 days, but I always gravitate back to it for periods of time.

characterzero 04-05-2008 11:51 PM

I keep meaning to get an acoustic because it's such a nice change of feel from electric. For me playing acoustic just simplifies everything, and I can really focus on just taking in the richness of the natural overtones. It's nice to sit down with a couple friends and strum out a couple songs.

matt31 04-29-2008 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I tune my acoustic down do drop D :P Sounds so rich

Did this with my acoustic...you're right man it does sound a lot richer

ninja636 06-02-2008 07:31 AM

I got a cheap fender acoustic, in D tuning as well. I use it late at night when I don't feel like hearing an electric. The hardwood floors and very spartan decor in my music room make it sound really big.

Perfect Stranger 11-03-2008 06:57 PM

I've got two acoustics, one electric/acoustic, four electrics, and an electric bass. All, except for the bass, get played at least once a week....many times more than that. Each one has it's own personality, sound, and playability.

MrSandMan 11-04-2008 12:40 AM

I have a Dean Performer electric/acoustic that is really nice to play. It's nice to just pull it out and pick on whenever without having to worry about being near a power outlet.

Come to think about it, the strings are starting to sound a bit dead. Any suggestions for a good sounding acoustic string brand? I like a lot of twang :sweet:

Perfect Stranger 11-04-2008 03:59 AM

www.webstrings.com You can't do better than these!

MrSandMan 11-07-2008 01:37 PM

oops, the link was broke. :biggrin: (just needed the r in strings.)

Thanks for the heads up man. Need me some good acoustic strings :2thumbups:

Rickdod 02-18-2009 12:33 AM

I own a JBP acoustic, ive had her for about 5 months now, i named her Hailey and im emotionally attached to this guitar, she wasnt the most expensive, but she is my first and will always be the most beautiful in my opinion, i LOVE my acoustic :biggrin: :biggrin: O and i recently picked up electric :winkx:

crazy_guitar_man 02-18-2009 12:53 AM

^^^i thought i was the only one that named my guitars....haha my acoustic 12 string is called daisy haha don't ask why i was just sitting outside one day with it and looked around and put 2 and 2 together haha

Rickdod 02-18-2009 12:56 AM

Haha its glad to know that your not the only crazy one sometimes hahaha!!! :yess: yeah i named mine after the lead singer of the band paramore, because for some reason i think she is the most beautiful woman i have ever seen, and i was looking at my guitar one day and it was like BAM perfect name lol :2thumbups:

crazy_guitar_man 02-18-2009 01:00 AM

haha she is definitly good looking :w:

Rickdod 02-18-2009 01:02 AM

OOOOOOOOOO yeah, i would probably cry if i seen her in person :frown: lol

crazy_guitar_man 02-18-2009 01:04 AM

i almost did but i decided to go to project revolution instead of warped tour...the only reason is i love atreyu and they were at project revolution

Rickdod 02-18-2009 01:08 AM

O dear lord dont EVEN talk about project revolution, I COULDNT GO! and speaking of atreyu (my favorite band which im listing to atm) ummm yeah i seen paramore at warped tour last year, AMAZING live, but i have also seen atreyu live and thats the best performance ive ever seen hands down, and that was without the lead singer cause at the time he was sick but they stillll killed it!

crazy_guitar_man 02-18-2009 01:12 AM

atm??? i am gona feel idiotic when you tlel me what that means but yeah atreyu is definitly one of the best  performances untill later in the night linkin park played they tied for a close first but linkin park is absolutly amazing haha

Edit wait i got it atm is at the moment haha i am a idiot haha but yeah they are definitly my favorite too

Rickdod 02-18-2009 01:14 AM

atm=at the moment

Yeah i love both those bands, im sad i couldnt go to project revolution, buttttt we should prolly stop talking about this on here, were are spamming it up!

Lol sorry guys!

crazy_guitar_man 02-18-2009 01:18 AM

true true my bad haha back on topic i picked up a electric first then 2 or 3 years later bought my acoustic....i love to play both but sometimes i am in a soft mood and sometimes i really wanna tick off the neighbors just depends :jumpgrin:

R.B. Huckleberry 04-08-2009 06:58 AM

I didn't have an acoustic for 5 or 6 years, and picked up a MArtin D-15 in 2007(?). All mahogany, sounds like that first cup of morning coffee.

Acoustic's a different animal, though. Got it's own sound & demands. Playing electric will give you a headstart, but I really am stsrting to think of the acoustic guitar as a different instrument altogether.

gagibson 10-28-2009 01:09 AM

Playing back and forth between acoustic and electric really helps me find inspiration on what kind of tones and textures I want from my guitar. Also it guarantees I'm never bored of playing

smorgdonkey 04-16-2010 03:24 PM

I play completely differently on electric and acoustic. I try playing riffs and big bar chords on the electric but on acoustic I am a singer/strummer. I am much more an acoustic guy but have 20 electrics, 1 bass and 5 acoustics.

speakerjones 04-16-2010 03:30 PM

I'm rediscovering my love of acoustic music after being a primarily electric player for years. I've been doing my writing and practicing on acoustic lately (Ovation Balladeer 1111).

TheSoad25 04-16-2010 06:15 PM

i have an electric guitar :)