Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   pickups (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18)

not a bumblebee 07-03-2007 11:16 PM

pickups

best metal pickup?

EMG 81 bridge
EMG 85 neck

MrSandMan 07-04-2007 12:36 AM

Re: pickups

Quote:

Originally Posted by not a bumblebee
best metal pickup?

EMG 81 bridge
EMG 85 neck

I agree. and also the Duncan livewires. If it's good enough for Mustaine, then it's gotta be good enough for metal. (yes I'm a Mustaine fan) O0

bassturd 07-06-2007 07:37 AM

thats subjective to personal opinion!, dimebag had great metal tone, never used actives, look at willie alder and mark morton, lamb of god, you may not like them but great tone, passive pickups there as well, george lynch, insane tones and playing, passive pickups, john petrucci, his tone is nuts, passive pups!...... do i like emgs? yes! but theres always more to look for in metal than emgs :fawk:

Thunders 07-15-2007 04:58 PM

81b/85n >:D

I love Metal, but....

I went active for the clarity and tightness they have. A few other reasons as well. They clean up very well as I roll the vol down on my guitar, they are really quiet and the N & B sound killer together.

I've still got a LP w/ passives, and I always will, but I'm leaning towards EMG's as my favorite pickups ever.

indytruckboy 07-19-2007 09:37 PM

I use those EMGs for metal. But surprisingly enough, I also use Gibson 57s sometimes. They are low output pups, but sometimes you don't need as much gain as you think. The 57s sound warm in the maple top SG of mine, which could be bright otherwise along with its ebony board. I make up the difference between the 2 pickup variations with a TS808RI.

MrSandMan 07-21-2007 02:00 PM

I'm actually amazed how nice the EMG HZ H4 are. I installed a set in my Ibanez RG520 and they're great!

I like them better than the Seymour Duncan JB and Custom that I threw in my Schecter Tempest.

mr.b.crich 08-03-2007 10:34 AM

a new pickup company is on the horizon i would look into Wb custom pickups Will is agreat guy he will take care of you he sent me a hell pickup it metered to around 18k that sound fantastic and he make a another pickup called a UV20 that will make a EMG run for cover and they are all passive

mr.b.crich 08-03-2007 10:41 AM

here is then link to the site check will out you will be glad you did

MrSandMan 08-12-2007 01:17 PM

Where's the link?

Schecterfreak 09-01-2007 03:01 PM

i am a little parcial to the invaders and tonerider fire[ower pickups..... i think they are pretty tight and very reactive to the strings... allows for better hammer on's and pull off's ya know? idk i just like those and the invaders are supposed to be coming out in an active version. :)