Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Gear Building & Customization (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Plectrum preference? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410)

Redline68 04-27-2008 07:18 PM

Plectrum preference?

I used to use Fender 351 Premium Celluloid in Heavy or something similar. A couple months ago I picked up some Snarling Dogs Brain Picks and now I mostly use those. The little raised bumps on the Brain picks make them easy to hold onto.

How about you?

MrSandMan 04-27-2008 07:52 PM

Re: Plectrum preference?

I used good ol fashioned Dunlop mediums. 4 for a buck :jumpgrin:

Never used Fender 351 Premium Celluloid or Brain picks. But they do look interesting! :sweet:

ninja636 04-29-2008 07:32 AM

The purple Dunlop Tortex. But when I want some searing harmonics, I use a quarter.

matt31 04-29-2008 02:12 PM

Hmm never tried using a quarter...sounds interesting

Redline68 04-29-2008 06:19 PM

I've never tried pocket change. I'll have to remember that the next time I'm without a pick.

characterzero 04-30-2008 11:19 PM

I usually just use Fender mediums. I've tried using change from when I can't find a pick, but I don't like coins too much (I think I was using a penny though, a quarter might play better). Also I folded up dollars to use as lighter picks, but they're not good. Just really big or thick and occasionally got stuck on a string. It was just an attempt to find something that acted similarly to a thinner pick.

Anyone use those mini looking picks? I've been trying to figure out what they're for, do they help you play faster or something?

MetalMac 05-03-2008 02:43 AM

Dunlop Jazz III and Dunlop Tortex 1.14.

Keep it Metal!!! :w:

jackal 05-03-2008 03:57 PM

i use to alway use those little dunlop jazz picks that are half the size and pointy, then i moved on to dunlop Heavy the transparent red ones. now i always use the dunlop tortex .78mm yellow, i don't think i'll stray from those again

Brian Krashpad 05-14-2008 03:00 PM

The most famous coin-user is Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Supposedly he uses a Mexican peso. But he has also been know to stretch the truth when it comes to biographical facts, so who knows.

I would think a coin would ruin a finish right quick if one wasn't real careful.

I usually use Dunlop Tortex, most often the yello mediums, iirc they're 73 mm. Heavier for bass, I think those are blue or purple and 106 mm.

floydmoline 05-14-2008 06:52 PM

i use generic fender mediums, when i have them, but i have used pennies and dimes before, a quarter would be a bit too large for me to play with comfortably.......

THE most famous coin user the DOES for real use coins is Brian May, he uses a six-pence