Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amps (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   What is your favorite Solid State amp? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141)

MrSandMan 11-06-2007 10:36 AM

What is your favorite Solid State amp?

I have played two SS amps that I absolutely enjoyed and thought they were amazing.

Randall RG100 ES (with Metal Monster)

&

Line 6 HD147 (with shortboard)

Discuss

Mudder 11-20-2007 10:01 AM

Re: What is your favorite Solid State amp?

I have a Tech21 trademark 60 that is a great SS amp. Real versatile, nice cleans, pretty crunchy gains, I'm having some issues with the volume control right now, but that should be easy to fix.

MrSandMan 11-20-2007 11:12 AM

Sweet, I read good things about those. Is it a combo? Is it a pot giving you trouble?

Mudder 11-21-2007 07:15 PM

Mine is a 1x12 combo that has been great until a few months ago. I have a couple scratchy pots that need to be cleaned but the volume issue is one the amp does all on it's own. It will be fine for a while then volume will increase noticeably, then drop back down after a few minutes. I think a good cleaning with some contact cleaner will probably take care of it but it's been on the back burner since I picked up an Engl combo.

ninja636 12-19-2007 11:40 PM

Crates. I'm using an XT120R right now, but back in the 80's I had a GT212 with Celestions in it. The XT has a way better clean sound than the GT did, but the GT had a way better dirty channel. The XT is a 3 channel, and the GT was a 2 chan. People put the Crate amps down for bad tone, but if you know how to eq an amp and understand an SS amps strengths and weaknesses, you can get good tone.

MrSandMan 12-20-2007 08:22 PM

I'd love to see some pictures of that setup. I just got a Furman PQ3 in, playing it with the RG100ES. That's massive.

indytruckboy 02-03-2008 12:15 PM

Vox Valvetronix. Sweet little bastards. I know they have a 12AX7 as a "power tube". But really? Who you foolin, Vox?

MrSandMan 02-03-2008 03:29 PM

Vox is awesome. I had a ToneLab (desktop, not the floorboard model) It was a modeller with a 12AX7... probaby like the Vox that you're describing. That thing was a tone lab for sure. I miss it actually

jackal 02-08-2008 12:05 AM

i used to have a Randall RG100SC it had great sound

and the new Fender metalhead is built like a tank, and has a nice sound too

jackal 02-08-2008 12:12 AM

Ohh ohh i forget for solid state amps i tried out a new one last week its a Hughes and Kettner zenTera you have to check this one our Mrsandman i think you'll have a balst.. it like a line 6 but with a $3500.00 price tag just for the head, and it sounds amazing AMAZING tons and tons of settings and amp mods. lol now i sound like i work for them hehe, but really try on out, there a great amp for gigs. they have everything.