Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Belated Birthday New Guitar Day! (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=456)

Brian Krashpad 05-20-2008 09:30 PM

Belated Birthday New Guitar Day!

OK, so last week I turned 50. I "splurged"and spent a Benjamin (OK, $103 + shipping) on a Ebay cheapie. A Squier Bullet Strat. The seller yanked the black scratchplate with the generic humbucker and only a volume knob, and replaced it with a pearloid plate and 2 GFS P-90's, expanding the circuit to have a 3-way switch, and adding a tone pot. He threw in the original still-wired HB scratchplate.

Before I get to the pics, I have to say a HUGE thank you to Harmony-Central forumite FrettnOvrNuttn! I bid on this not noticing it was Paypal-only (traceable) and Gary agreed to buy it on his Paypal account and have it sent to me, trusting I would send payment to him. He did this out of the goodness of his heart. THANK YOU FRETTN!

Anyhow, the guitar is beautiful and looks much better than the auction photos (the color is a metallic blue with a definite purple undertone). I've only had the chance to very briefly test it, but everything works and it's virtually in brand-new condition. The action is low, the intonation perfect!

Now to the pics:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3078/hpim0627pc8.jpg

http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/7833/hpim0625os5.jpg

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/7226/hpim0626ip3.jpg

Only thing I may change is the tophat on the 3-way switch. I have a Tele that has a white Strat switch tip on it and I will probably switch the swtich tips on them.

But Krashpad is a happy camper. Thanks again Gary!

ninja636 05-20-2008 10:54 PM

Re: Belated Birthday New Guitar Day!

Sweet. :2thumbups:

floydmoline 05-21-2008 02:13 AM

lol p-90's in a strat looks as funny as fender style single coils on a les paul.... i have seen it.... it's funny looking, when you get a chance to test it some more, leave a comment on how you like the GFS P-90s Vs the other P-90s you have in your collection, please :-)

Brian Krashpad 05-21-2008 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydmoline
lol p-90's in a strat looks as funny as fender style single coils on a les paul.... i have seen it.... it's funny looking,

Rondo offers an SX like that, so I'm used to it.

floydmoline 05-21-2008 02:53 PM

i do like the hard tail on the strat though, i used to have a mexican strat and the trem drove me batty, i ended up taking a hunk of wood and sticking it behind the metal part that the strings go through.... basically making it a hard tail

characterzero 05-21-2008 10:52 PM

Wow, it seems from my experience that people over at Harmony Central are reallly nice, good people. That looks like a cool buy, and the P-90s should be interesting.

Brian Krashpad 05-21-2008 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by characterzero
Wow, it seems from my experience that people over at Harmony Central are reallly nice, good people. That looks like a cool buy, and the P-90s should be interesting.

I've met several of the people over there irl. Jammed with bbreaker (he's the one with over 100 guitars, almost all really nice expensive ones), and played several shows with several other guys (one guy from Phoenix who I already had mutual friends with, a band that came through town from Ohio, and another band that came down for a show from Jacksonsville). All good experiences.

Depends on where you go over at H-C though. I stay out of Open Jam-- it's a zoo, tons of insults and trolling. Electric Guitars is best, and then Guitar Jam, though the latter can get out of hand occasionally.

characterzero 05-23-2008 04:33 PM

Oh yeah, you're right. I stay away from the more mindless areas of conversation. I've found the people in the Electric Guitar and Effects forums are nice, knowledgeable and many own tons of really nice expensive gear.

Brian Krashpad 05-23-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, you're right. I stay away from the more mindless areas of conversation. I've found the people in the Electric Guitar and Effects forums are nice, knowledgeable and many own tons of really nice expensive gear.

Since I hardly use effects I've hardly been to Effects.

Amps is kinda metal heaven from what I understand. ;)

ninja636 05-23-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
Quote:

:w: :w: :w: :rock: :rock: :w: :w: :w:

Metal 4 ever baby!!

Brian Krashpad 05-25-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
Quote:

:w: :w: :w: :rock: :rock: :w: :w: :w:

Metal 4 ever baby!!

Haha, a couple months ago a few guys from Guitar Jam went over to Amps and did some parody posts about owning imaginary 5150's or Mesas or what have you (I'm certain they worked in the word "brootal" or "brewtal"), and promptly got banninated for a few days. It was quite a big to-do. I'd'a thunk metal guys woulda had thicker skins.

ninja636 05-25-2008 11:49 AM

Yeah, or thicker skulls, right? Or maybe both. Hey wait a minute, I think I fit that description.

Brian Krashpad 05-28-2008 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninja636
Yeah, or thicker skulls, right? Or maybe both. Hey wait a minute, I think I fit that description.

A lot of guitarists do, and the majority of punk rockers for sure. :winkx:

MrSandMan 05-28-2008 04:41 PM

That's a catchy color. The pearl looks really nice on it. Bet it sounds nice through your 66' Fender Reverb. congrats on your birthday. I love new gear for b-day, fathers day, columbus day, easter... lol...

Brian Krashpad 05-28-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSandMan
That's a catchy color. The pearl looks really nice on it. Bet it sounds nice through your 66' Fender Reverb. congrats on your birthday. I love new gear for b-day, fathers day, columbus day, easter... lol...

Haha, thanks. Apparently the Fender color name is "cobalt blue." It's a nice gem hue. Metallic without being too gaudy.

I've only played it through the top half of the Super to date, but so far so good.