Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Electric Guitars (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   what a week :-D 2 new toys (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454)

floydmoline 05-19-2008 06:29 PM

what a week :-D 2 new toys

what a week i have had so far.......

first sunday a friend of the family (older gentleman) was cleaning his out building and found a couple of guitars, and gave them to me..... one was what appears to be a 60's kay acoustic, that is in really rough shape, it was so bad i just stuck it away for now, all the joints were comming apart, the top is like all covered in a glue like substance, i don't think there is any hope of ressurecting that one.

the second one was a 1962-1964 Wandre / Don Noble "teenager" this guitar looks very, er lets say vintage lol, it's a hollow body with a generic single cut shape, oddest part about him is the ALUMINUM neck, i though as i was cleaning this one up this is gonna sound like crap....... it actually sound GOOD lol, it seriously lacks sustain which i would have though it would have awesome sustain with the aluminum neck, but nope, might be because of the 9's on it though all i had and that is partly the reason i don't like 9's

and the final and IMO best part of the week BC Rich ST-III NJ...... this guitar is gawd-like for a bolt on neck / super strat....... i thought i'd have a rough time playing it due to the 25.5" scale but i was wrong the neck is smooth, and FAST i have never played guitar like i can on this guy.... he is impressive..... i actually am liking it better than my les paul atm...... OH MY GOD SOMEONE SMACK ME!!!!!!! i can't believe i said i like it better than my les paul lol... i seriously can't believe i like this guitar it has everything i don't like about guitars, a bolt on neck, a kahler spyder trem, single coils, and it's light reeally light :-\ feels like i'm gonna break it after hanging a les paul around my neck, almost forgot how light a strat style guitar is

i'll put up pictures as soon as i can take them

floydmoline 05-19-2008 07:10 PM

Re: what a week :-D 2 new toys

http://www.gear-monkey.com/file_mana...e/100_2157.JPG
1987 BC Rich ST-III NJ

http://www.gear-monkey.com/file_mana...e/100_2137.jpg
1962-1964 Don Noble (Wandre) "teenager"

ninja636 05-19-2008 10:22 PM

I had a BC Rich just like that once! Mine was red though.I loved that guitar. The other looks pretty cool too. I'd clean that thing up , and put it in a display case on my living room wall. :biggrin:

EDIT: If you maybe consider sellin' the bich, let me know. That thing brings back some memories.

floydmoline 05-19-2008 11:38 PM

my original intention was to sell both of them lol, or refinish and redo the BC Rich then sell it, make some money to get a telecaster, tubes for my amp and maybe some pedal-age...... but not sure i want to part with the BC Rich now that i have played it lol...... i haven't had a "shredder" neck before man that neck is smooth as butta, i have a whole new respect for BC Rich guitars, i had previously played with a BC Rich that sandman had had, don't recall what it was but it was a neck through..... warlock or something /shrug i wasn't all that impressed with it, it was really really bright sounding to me, but i didn't really give it a chance..... wish i would have now lol

i have always wanted a neck thru mockingbird, but not because it sounded good or anything i just always though they looked really cool... sell the BCR though i suppose everything is always for sale at the right price, lol. it's got issues currently but if i keep it around a while it'll be redone.

characterzero 05-20-2008 08:08 PM

That second guitar, the Wandre thing, looks really cool. I feel like the aluminum neck would make it sound really odd.

Brian Krashpad 05-20-2008 09:29 PM

Wow! Congrats! That rocks.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm in love with the Wandre.

That's probably collectible.

ninja636 05-20-2008 10:56 PM

Hey, didn't Kramer make aluminum necked guitars once? Or basses at least, I think I remember reading that once somewhere.

floydmoline 05-21-2008 02:10 AM

well the wandre is in the process of getting sold, 500 dollars, if anyone wants to offer more than that feel free lol.

as far as the aluminum neck goes, acoustically it makes it sounda little "snappier" the strings have a quick and loud attack and decay FAST it has little to no sustain, amplified it sounds basically the same as any single coil hollow body lol, noisy "warm" and prone to feedback

yeah kramer made some aluminum necked 6 and 4 string guitars in the 80's they were quite short lived and relatively unpopular.