Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Effects (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What is you favorite style of dirt pedal? (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348)

floydmoline 03-18-2008 06:55 PM

What is you favorite style of dirt pedal?

Just curious about everyones personal prefrence, not specific boxes, just the style of your favorite.

Monster 03-18-2008 07:03 PM

Re: What is you favorite style of dirt pedal?

Distortion (BOSS DS-1, ProCo RAT, MT-2, Big Muff Pi)

Monster 03-21-2008 11:20 AM

or my digitech rp-12 unit.......lol :jumpgrin:

floydmoline 03-22-2008 12:45 AM

guess that would be all 3 lol

Redline68 04-27-2008 08:42 PM

I chose fuzz, but equally like overdrive. I typically play clean or with some natural overdrive or Bad Monkey. I'll kick on the Fuzz as desired.

For some reason I can't leave the fuzz alone for long.

characterzero 04-27-2008 09:01 PM

Well, I'm thinking as of now I prefer distortion based on the options. I have a DS-1 that I'm not really a fan of, but my friend has a Rat it it really sounds great. I don't have enough experience yet using fuzz and overdrive to make a decision though, I love fuzzy tone too, but it seems like straight distortion is more usable than fuzz in a broad context.

jackal 05-03-2008 03:59 PM

i voted for the MT-2, but i do have to say a tubescreamer overdrive to me is equally effective if use properly..

Not a fan of Fuzz at all

ninja636 05-31-2008 10:10 PM

Metal Muff baby, and my newly modified MT-2. I seem to make everything I play including Hendrix sound like hardcore METAL!!! :w: :w:

Brian Krashpad 05-31-2008 11:48 PM

I voted distortion, but honestly I don't have enough pedal experience to really tell much difference. I have at least one of each different type but to date have used the distortion most.

MrSandMan 06-01-2008 12:19 PM

I usually use amp distortion. but chose the "distortion" poll because I really like the Big Muff Pi. I come up with some killer riffs with the Peavey XXX and the Muff. They work well together. MT-2 is okay, but sounds.... digital to me (lack of a better word).

all-in-all amp distortion has always been my choice.

Oh, and I also really love the Digitech Bad Monkey. Just like the one on the Gear-Monkey give-away :biggrin: http://gear-monkey.com/forum/feature...al-t470.0.html

Cheers

ninja636 06-02-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSandMan
I usually use amp distortion. but chose the "distortion" poll because I really like the Big Muff Pi. I come up with some killer riffs with the Peavey XXX and the Muff. They work well together. MT-2 is okay, but sounds.... digital to me (lack of a better word).

all-in-all amp distortion has always been my choice.

Oh, and I also really love the Digitech Bad Monkey. Just like the one on the Gear-Monkey give-away :biggrin: http://gear-monkey.com/forum/feature...al-t470.0.html

Cheers

My Keeley modded MT-2 sounds SMOOTH, no more "digital" harshness. I know exactly what your talking about. Now that I've had it a while, the only thing I don't like is how sensitive the eq is now. It was pretty time consuming to eq in a good sound before, but its kinda hard now. I can't wait to get some new recording gear to make some sound clips for you guy's. My wife opted out of the new Falcon PC, and got us 2 new laptops instead. :biggrin: I love mine, and I got a cool new backpack to carry it in while riding my bike. Maybe I'll let you borrow it one day so you can check it out.( The MT-2, not my bike).

MrSandMan 06-02-2008 01:27 AM

Sweet, new recording gear :D

I've read good things about the Keely mod... I'd love to hear it. Dialing in is half the fun, sometimes. You'll have to make us a clip to check out while testing out your recording gear ;)

Overdrive poll isnt getting much attention? Where's floyd?

ninja636 06-02-2008 07:34 AM

:2thumbups: As soon as I find some good cheap recording gear for my laptop, I'll put up some sound clips. :w:

floydmoline 06-02-2008 09:31 AM

the MT-2 didn't have a "digital" sound to me.... it had a "solid-state" sound :-\

ninja636 06-02-2008 02:49 PM

The stock MT-2 has a really bad mid range harshness to it, it almost hurts to listen too. I think SandMan and myself are using the wrong word to describe it, with the stock MT-2 you can't eq this "harshness" out, even if you scoop the mids, sweep 'em or whatever you try. With the Keeley mod, that harshness is gone, and the bass response is a lot fuller. All in all it's just a WAY better pedal. It now finds it's way in my efx chain more than my Metal Muff. I can't wait to send in my SD-1 for the stacked mod. It's got a Germanium chip in it. :biggrin:

floydmoline 06-02-2008 05:48 PM

i had an MT-2 (won one here :-D) i know what you are talking about, the MT-2s had a nice range for a boss pedal, but boss distortion pedals in general aren't the best, the original BOSS Overdrive pedal i liked, and the SD-1 isn't bad, but the rest are kind of ehhh, i wouldn't buy one new personally, and used if i got a good deal

as far as the SD-1 stacked mod goes, hope you like it. as far as i can tell it would only do 2 things for ya, create more headroom to use as a booster, and eat batteries, i doubt it will change the sound dramatically.

christ i sound so pesimistic lol

ninja636 06-02-2008 07:19 PM

I don't use batteries anyways, and pessimistic? NAH, your just giving an honest opinion about something, which is appreciated by me at least. I do like the SD-1's sound the way it is, but I also like the way the TS9 sounds as well, and the EH Germanium OD. Hopefully this is going to give me a little bit of each from one pedal.

floydmoline 06-03-2008 12:35 AM

well this opinion i am about to give is not so much an opinion as much as a fact, there is NO and i repeat NO op-amp based distortion device that is going to sound even remotely like a germanium fuzz..... i have built MANY distortion boxes, and a germanium transistor has a sound and feel of it's own, not better or worse than any other but different and unique, a silicon can sound similar, but there isn't much of anyway aa op-amp based device, like TS-9, TS-808, SD-1, DS-1, big muff pi or anything like those is going to sound remotely like a germanium fuzz.......

fuzz face is to BOSS SD-1 as transistor amp distortion is to tube amp distortion. same ball park, opposite teams......

not to flame on anyone or anything, but even keeley can not turn an apple into an orange, i have heard his mods and i can agree they do improve *most* pedals, no one can make a SD-1 sound germanium save god himself

ninja636 06-03-2008 02:02 AM

WOW, after reading your post I did a little more research and sound clip listening. I think I'll mod the SD-1 anyways, AND buy an EH Germanium OD pedal. Thanks man. :w:

floydmoline 06-03-2008 01:12 PM

well another sale for electro-harmonix was my goal :-P (sarcasim) lol. i just wanted to give you a heads up, i have bought so much gear and have been disappointed, i just wanted to save someone else a little disappointment. especially with the cost of mods that you don't do yourself...... 30 cents in parts + outrageous labor = 75 dollar mod....

the "stacked" mod is just soldering another JRC4558 on top of the one already in it...... you could do that yourself with a JRC4558 from radio shack.... even at radio shack the op-amp is only going to be a dollar at most. i have dozens of them lying around here.

ninja636 06-05-2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydmoline
well another sale for electro-harmonix was my goal :-P (sarcasim) lol. i just wanted to give you a heads up, i have bought so much gear and have been disappointed, i just wanted to save someone else a little disappointment. especially with the cost of mods that you don't do yourself...... 30 cents in parts + outrageous labor = 75 dollar mod....

the "stacked" mod is just soldering another JRC4558 on top of the one already in it...... you could do that yourself with a JRC4558 from radio shack.... even at radio shack the op-amp is only going to be a dollar at most. i have dozens of them lying around here.

Cool. I'll have to look into that, but since have had a change of heart, I'm gonna get the EH German OD, and leave the SD-1 stock. :sweet:

R.B. Huckleberry 12-14-2008 09:54 AM

I prefer the pedals that straddle the line: The Boss BD-2 Blues Driver is my current favorite for it's transparency. I use it to add to the grit of my amp.

But for years it was overdrive pedals.

StickMan 07-11-2009 10:37 PM

I find the poll categories kind of strange. They don't really make any sense, except for fuzz, and the examples in the "Distortion" category don't really sound alike.

I'd use these categories:

1) Fuzz
2) TS Style (TS, Timmy, SD-1)
3) Rat Style (Rat, OCD, DS-1)
4) BMP Style
5) Cascaded Gain Stage