Gear-Monkey Guitar Community

Gear-Monkey Guitar Community (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/index.php)
-   Guitar Technique & Exercises (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   what string gauge do you use.. (http://gear-monkey.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286)

floydmoline 03-14-2008 06:23 PM

Re: what string gauge do you use..

never bought anythin g other than GHS and ernie balls

Monster 03-31-2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydmoline
never bought anythin g other than GHS and ernie balls

i find ernie balls are to rubber band like for my playing........

floydmoline 03-31-2008 09:20 PM

yeah they do tend to strech quite a bit compared to others, but i prefer them once they settle down, but i also leave my strings on until they are rusty as hell and ready to snap lol

Servant 04-05-2008 07:17 AM

Slinky 10's - so very nice. :w:

Redline68 04-05-2008 10:18 AM

Generally:

Electric 25.5" scale: 9's
Electric 24.75" scale: 10's
Acoustic: 11's

That said, I can never leave well enough alone and am always trying out dif strings and gauges. Right now I have 11's on my fav electric and 12's on the acoustic. I'm sure I'll cycle back soon though and then the insanity will start over again.

matt31 04-29-2008 03:55 AM

9s on my Jay Turser
10s on my Agile AL
13s on my acoustic

ninja636 05-17-2008 12:23 AM

I use 10's, gotta be DR Hi Beams though, if my fingers touch any other string brand they'll rot off:) :w:

Brian Krashpad 05-28-2008 12:05 PM

11's if available, otherwise 10's.

Brand doesn't really matter, or at least I don't pay attention.

MatrixClaw 06-25-2008 02:20 PM

I have 9s in my Ibanez right now and I hate them. That used to be all I used until I started playing around with tunings, now they're too flabby for my tastes. Someday I'll get some 10s or 11s in there and tune it to D standard instead, but for now I guess it'll just stay at Standard tuning.

My Faded SG has Hybrid Slinkies, actually pretty cool, not too heavy in Standard and not too light in Drop C.

My Strat has Power Slinkies. I really like them, but I think there's too much tension on the neck so I tuned it down lower, it was at Drop C! and now it's just been sitting there unplayed for a few months cause I'm afraid I'm gonna screw up the neck and I'm too lazy to adjust the truss rod lol.

My other SG has... nothing! It's being repainted.

I like the GHS Zakk Wylde set the best though, 10s on the bottom string is nice for soloing, then as you go up they get heavier than normal.

tidwop 07-12-2008 03:35 AM

i used d'arrdio or how ever you spell that and in 10's, but im wanting to get the ones that sound darker cause im doing teh BR00TALZ