PDA

View Full Version : Wouldja? (Yammy RBX170 content)

Brian Krashpad
06-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Local craigslister is selling what looks like a Yammy RBX170 for $75:

http://images.craigslist.org/3k43o73p1ZZZZZZZZZ9672a85d248b6e617f5.jpg

I have 4 basses, so I don't "need" another one. Sfaik these street at $179.99, MSRP: $279.99, so the used price is less than half street, which is my usual standard for a good deal.

I don't have, and have never owned, a P/J, so I'm thinking this might be a neat addition to the stable. (Other basses are: Fender MIM Jazz, Squier MIJ P, Epi MIK T-Bird, and a Peavey USA Fury I.) I've never played a Yamaha bass, though I once owned a Yamaha electric guitar and currently own a Yammy 12-string acoustic, both of which were/are solid products. Are these RBX's MIC? If not, what country of origin? Any experiences good or bad? Heft? Neck? Pups? I know these are seen as starter basses at the bottom of the Yammy line.

Wot say you, my brethren (and sistren)?

MrSandMan
06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
That's about an average price of what they sell for used. I had RGX420 guitar and if I remember correctly it was made in Japan.

Not bad guitars... but if you don't need, I wouldn't buy it. Unless you want it, then get it.

If you do pull the trigger, I'm sure you'll use it. :biggrin:

Brian Krashpad
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
That's about an average price of what they sell for used. I had RGX420 guitar and if I remember correctly it was made in Japan.

Not bad guitars... but if you don't need, I wouldn't buy it. Unless you want it, then get it.

If you do pull the trigger, I'm sure you'll use it. :biggrin:

From what I'm getting on other boards, looks like these are made in Indonesia at a Yamaha-owned (not outsourced) plant, though I've seen MIC guesses also.

My thoughts are-- I don't have a P-J, a couple people who've had this or the P-only (160) version have said they were decent, this has 2 full octaves (none of my other basses do), and lastly from what I see and read from others the look is modern unlike my existing basses, plus supposedly they are pretty light. So I may buy as an addition to the stable that I could bear to part with to give to my daughter. I've promised my son a guitar if he leanrs to play, but of my 4 current basses I have none I think I could part with to give to my daughter.

This'un would solve that.

:2thumbups:

MrSandMan
06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
That's sounds like a very reasonable plan. I never played an Indonesia guitar, but from the Yamaha's that I played, they were all decent playing guitars... and gig worthy. Yamaha's brand in general are well recognized and have a good reputation. Plus like you said, at the very least, a decent guitar to learn with. :sweet:

Brian Krashpad
06-18-2009, 06:11 AM
That's sounds like a very reasonable plan. I never played an Indonesia guitar, but from the Yamaha's that I played, they were all decent playing guitars... and gig worthy. Yamaha's brand in general are well recognized and have a good reputation. Plus like you said, at the very least, a decent guitar to learn with. :sweet:

SHe's been learning on my P-bass, says the Jazz is too heavy. She has actually played in front of people already. Once at a party several months ago with me and some of my old college buddies, and then again this last week at church, where her and her brother volunteered to help with Vacation Bible School. She's basically taught herself. I showed her some scales and she took it from there, learned tab almost entirely by herself. I showed her the basic principle behind tab and she went from there. Since I hardly ever use tab, she's probably better at using it than I am by now.

dan135
12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
you shud buy it

Brian Krashpad
12-07-2009, 09:22 AM
you shud buy it

Alas, that ship sailed.

My daughter ended up getting a Peavey USA Foundation bass instead. And I have since added a Peavey T-40 to my bass stable, so barring some miraculously cheap Ric coming my way, I'm pretty set for bass.