PDA

View Full Version : DOD made a Guitar Amplifier - did you know?

MrSandMan
03-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Was just doing some random surfing and found that back in 1998 DOD made a tube / hybrid guitar amplifier (112 Combo). I doubt they made too many.

Here's the info that I found on it:

The DOD G112 is a MOSFET-power, 60-watt guitar amplifier featuring a two-channel preamp section loaded with the FX69 Grunge distortion, chorus, spring reverb and three-band EQ. The G112 contains a 12-inch Eminence speaker, two independent inputs (high and low), connectors for footswitch, external speaker jack, headphones line/out and DOD's jam-a-long jack.
The DOD G112 list price was $399

Here's a photo:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM98/DOD/G112.jpg

Anyone ever see these before?

Brian Krashpad
03-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I vaguely recall that they came out, but they apparently sank like a stone. I never heard anything else about them after that.

I wonder what they go for on the used market.

MrSandMan
03-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I doubt they'd sell for much since the amp isn't "known" or have any reputation - or hyped for good sounds. In fact, there's not much for user reviews either.

I think it's neat that they incorporated the FX69 Grunge pedal for the distortion sounds. That's a decent pedal.

I think this week I'll try to find other instruments and gear that was built and didn't "make it". I find this interesting.

Brian Krashpad
03-10-2009, 01:59 PM
It's funny how that sort of thing works. Some products are just too far afield of what the manufacturer has historically made, like solid-body Ovation guitars. I think that may've been what happened to the DOD amp.

On rare occasions products get killed because they're too good and take sales away from another of the producer's product lines-- which is why Fender Japan guitars aren't sold in the US, and reportedly why Fender killed the DeArmond line of guitars.