PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think?

Rickdod
02-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Ok so as some of you know I just recently picked up the electric guitar (ive been playing for about a month) well I bought a Epiphone Sg Limited Edition sg-400 i paid $399 for it (brand new) with a hardshell case. I love the guitar, its very very beautiful it sounds wonderful, butttttttt it just feels super awkward in my hands, as well as standing up, the neck just throws me off soooooo much. So I was wondering about trying to trade it for or in on a epiphone les paul, what does everyone think? Also how much do u think guitar center would do in a on a trade in or do they even do that?

MrSandMan
02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Can you go to the store and play some before you get something different?

Rickdod
02-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Yes I can, im going to do that before i make any decisions but between college and work its tuff to find time to go to guitar center, cause its like 45 miles away, andddddd the only day off i have this week its suppose to snow :frownz:

MrSandMan
02-20-2009, 12:37 AM
If the SG neck isn't comfortable for you, then I doubt you'll like the LP neck much either.

Try an Ibanez with a maple neck. Maple neck, imo, are the most comfortable.

Rickdod
02-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Its not that the neck isnt comfy, its perfectly fine when im sitting down, but as soon as i stand up because its so heavy i have to hold it up at the same time to keep it from wanting to lean forward

crazy_guitar_man
02-20-2009, 12:48 AM
yeah i know what your saying about it leaning forward my epi les paul does the same thing when i stand...what i try to do is angle the neck up more and put the body down and it usually does it for me but also take into the fact that you are just learning the guitar i know i didn't play standing till almost a year into playing for the reason i just wasn't comfortable yet...but yeah i would go play some other ones and see which ones don't lean if that is something you really want

Perfect Stranger
03-06-2009, 02:18 PM
First of all, GC won't give you near what you can sell it for. Put it on Craigslist....or even evilbay if you have to. You should get at least 75%. Then go to

www.rondomusic.com (http://www.rondomusic.com)

or

www.guitarfetish.com (http://www.guitarfetish.com)

You should be able to easily pick out a comfortable guitar....

Powerslave214
04-22-2009, 02:43 AM
I wouldn't mind having one of the Iommi model SG's myself.

Is the strap pin located on the horn, or more near the neck heel on the back?

emeraldwilly
05-03-2009, 07:23 PM
the comfort lies withing the maple

StickMan
07-03-2009, 09:43 AM
That's always the issue with SG's. The body is about 1/4" thick and the neck join is wayyyyy up there. So balance on a strap is problematic. Not my favorite design.

indytruckboy
07-11-2009, 09:51 PM
You just get a good strap. I nice leather unit with the grippy backing. No neck problems.

I love SGs just for the way the neck feels.

shredrick
09-22-2009, 03:32 PM
So you've been playing a month lol I suggest you put it down and play your acoutsic for about a year then go to the electric.

Brian Krashpad
09-22-2009, 04:13 PM
So you've been playing a month lol I suggest you put it down and play your acoutsic for about a year then go to the electric.

:confused:

Not really what he was asking about.

OP: neck dive is a common problem with SG's. As has been mentioned, sell rather than trade, if you must. But, you can get a wide strap to help combat neck dive, or just make a point of always keeping a hand on the neck, or on the body countering the neck dive.

silvertear
10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
You just get a good strap. I nice leather unit with the grippy backing. No neck problems.

I love SGs just for the way the neck feels.

This^^^^
Trustme, it works. :2thumbups:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h312/bobbydamm/Crisco.jpg