PDA

View Full Version : New owner of SG, trade or no?

Rickdod
02-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Ok so ive only been playing electric guitar for about 1 month, and i have to say ive become pretty consumed by everything and i want to learn MORE AND MORE AND everything i can lol. Well anyway i bought my first electric guitar off ebay, its a 1966 reissue Epiphone Sg-400 here is the exact guitar this isnt the ebay i bought it from, just a example (http://cgi.ebay.com/Epiphone-Gibson-SG-Custom-Shop-Ltd-Ed-Near-Mint-NR_W0QQitemZ190286963267QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33037QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Anyway I loveeeeee how the neck fits my hand on this guitar, and the way it sounds is pretty nice (Note: i dont have hardly any experience with electric guitar sounds so idk what im talking about lol) BUTTTTTTTT i really hate where the strap pin is on the backside of the guitar and i HATE how heavy the neck is, it makes it extremely hard for me to play standing up, buttttt im pretty sure i could get use to it.

So i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a different guitar i could trade for or any tips on the SG's oooo also i paid $399 for the guitar brand new with a hard shell case

crazy_guitar_man
02-18-2009, 12:50 AM
ummm well seems like the neck is heavy because the body is too light this is just something that you would have to get used too...i have the epi les paul ultra which is only 5 lbs and the body is semi hollow the neck tilts alittle but after a while i don't even really notice it anymore...

as for the strap pin haha that is a personal preference...me i like it but like i said in the other thread the sg style is my favorite guitar haha

i would say that is a nice guitar but if you would want something else i would go to your nearest guitar place try some guitars then go somewhere that would have different guitars and try some of them if then you like something else then compare the two guitars together and see which one would be better for you but really finding the right one is really a personal preference you would have to decide for yourself...but if you want a opinion then i would say stick with that one it sounds nice for a beginner guitar and then if you want something else go out and get something....haha i hope that makes sense its like one oclock and my brain is now fried after i just wrote a lab report :jumpgrin:

Rickdod
02-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Haha yeah that makes total since i know what your saying, i really like the style and weight of the telecasters, but the neck just feels to fat in my hands, idk im weird lol i think im gonna spend some quality time in guitar center over the weekend lol

crazy_guitar_man
02-18-2009, 12:58 AM
sounds like a plan haha but yeah when i first got into playing i bought a squier 51 which is a telecaster neck with a strat body and i mainly did that cuz i liked both guitars and thought it would be cool to have them both in one guitar haha

Rickdod
02-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Actually thats not a bad idea lol, but the name squier just sends pains thru my body, if anything i would get at least a mexican made, well that is if i can afford that lol Buttttt i guess i cant hate on them that much, i have never played a squier ive just heard terrible stories.

Powerslave214
04-24-2009, 02:09 AM
If you have a local shop that does repair work, it might be possible to have the strap pin moved from the back to the tip of the horn.

Brian Krashpad
04-24-2009, 10:38 AM
If you have a local shop that does repair work, it might be possible to have the strap pin moved from the back to the tip of the horn.

I'd do that before sell it, if I liked the guitar otherwise. A wide guitar strap that grips better also reportedly helps.