PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit Guitars

MrSandMan
01-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Good news. Four of the top known names in the musical instrument business, Ibanez, Gretsch, Fender and Paul Reed Smith (PRS), teamed up in March 2008 to develop the Electric Guitar Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition (EGACC) and brought down two guitar counterfeiting companies in Beijing, China. During the intensive operation, the PSB seized over 1,200 counterfeit guitars and other musical instruments... a number of individuals including the owners of these businesses were detained and are now looking at fines and jail time.

Read more at GEAR-VAULT (http://www.gear-vault.com/fight-against-counterfeit-guitars/)

Brian Krashpad
01-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Good to hear.

It's a shame the companies have to go to such work because the Chinese government won't, though.

MrSandMan
01-24-2009, 12:42 PM
I agree. But no matter what, when there is a quality name like Gibson, counterfeit is going to happen. See Rolex watches and etc...

It's hard for me to buy Gibson, Ibanez, PRS and etc over the internet when I can't look it over to verify it's legit. It's so easy to get burned. I found a website / auction that is selling Gibson custom guitars for $350 - $450. The pictures are actual Gibson's... but that's the good old "bait and switch" tactic.

I should find the link and expose them... or report them to Gibson and see what they have to say about the matter.

Redline68
01-28-2009, 07:26 PM
This is good news. I fear it's just sticking a finger in the dike though until China decides to be responsible.