PDA

View Full Version : Put my telecaster on layaway today

MetalMac
12-18-2008, 11:55 PM
It's a vintage modified telecaster with a humbucker and two single coils in it. Pretty nice tone and great neck. I'm looking to replace the pickups though. One is a mini humbucker and I just really don't see many options for those. I'm thinking of putting a tone zone in the bridge and a virtual vintage heavy blues 2 in the middle. I just have no idea what to do about the neck position humbucker. I'll link you guys to a pic (if it will work)

http://www.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/F030-1230-505.JPG

MrSandMan
12-19-2008, 01:30 AM
Does your Tele look like the one in the photo? That's pretty hot. Where did you get it?

MetalMac
12-19-2008, 01:50 AM
yeah it's exactly the one in the photo! I found an exact pic of it up on the web. There's a music shop around here called Opus 1 Music. They had it on sale. Its definitely gonna need a pickup change though. I'm pretty unexperienced with that.

MrSandMan
12-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Cool. I like that guitar.

I'm a huge fan of Seymour Duncan pickups. Go to their website http://www.seymourduncan.com/ and listen to their online samples. Let me know what you think.

MetalMac
12-19-2008, 02:47 AM
my main problem is going to be finding a mini humbucker to replace the one that's in it that don't cost 100 bucks.

MrSandMan
12-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Yeah, that's going to be the hard part. Do you play the neck position a lot?

MetalMac
12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
unfortunately, yes. I am trying to get better at blues music (and I am not very good) and that requires me to play a lot of neck position.

MrSandMan
12-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Did you check out the Seymour Duncan mini humbucker (SM-1N) for $87? I can save you an extra 15% off. Just click this and type in GIFT123 (http://www.anrdoezrs.net/click-3053179-10552808). It ends in 8 days, so hurry if you want the discount.

Let me know. :sweet:

Brian Krashpad
12-19-2008, 11:39 PM
Btw, be advised that the stock middle and bridge are NOT singles, though they look like it.

All 3 are humbuckers.

I would look at yanking the middle and bridge, and putting in a Strat middle pup and Tele bridge pup respectively, and leave the mini in the neck. I have a Seymour Duncan mini in the neck of one of my Teles (a beater Frankentele) but they are expensive. I would give the stock one a go and put singles where singles should be first.

MetalMac
12-20-2008, 03:21 AM
So just a normal strat pup and normal tele pup? Any specific model or anything? Also, I would really like to get a little more dirt out of the pups :w:

Brian Krashpad
12-20-2008, 07:22 AM
So just a normal strat pup and normal tele pup? Any specific model or anything? Also, I would really like to get a little more dirt out of the pups :w:

Well if you're going for something that looks like a Tele but doesn't sound like one, you may wanna stick with the stock humbuckers. I've never replaced any of the pickups on any of my Strats or Teles so I don't have any real specific ideas. You might try going to the guitarfetish.com page and seeing what GFS has for Strats and Teles. A lot of people have commented that they are good pickups on the cheap. I had some GFS P-90's in a Strat (prior owner mod) and they certainly did fine. Also, Jay at guitarfetish is well-known as a good guy who stands behind his products.

MrSandMan
12-20-2008, 01:09 PM
I totally forgot about guitarfetish.com. Here's his minihumbuckers - http://store.guitarfetish.com/minihumbuckers.html

MetalMac
12-28-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm planning on picking up the telecaster on either Monday or Tuesday. I am going to try and get some pics up from my house once i get it and post a New Guitar Day thread. It will be my first one here :biggrin:

MrSandMan
12-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Keep us informed bro :bringit: :biggrin:

Tele = :w:

jackal
12-30-2008, 02:26 PM
if your going to be replacing the pickups to high quality like duncan or Emg's then i would recommed upgrading your Pot's too, that one place they usually cheap out on.
just a thought...

MetalMac
12-30-2008, 11:50 PM
will do jackal! I need some help now. I just got through taking some pics of my gear. I have my new telecaster in there plus all my other guitars. I just have no clue how to post them on here or how to really get them on my computer :frown: