PDA

View Full Version : Tube vs. Transistor

MetalMac
11-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Ah yes, the age old debate. One would argue that the tube amps will be better suited for a cleaner style of playing, whereas the transistor amps would be better suited for hard rock/metal. I personally love both styles of amps and own one of each. I love my Valve Junior and my RG100. I'm just curious to hear what your opinions are on the subject!

Peace :sweet:

MrSandMan
11-22-2008, 05:35 PM
I love tube power for both clean and distortion. The tubes are more natural, though, many solid state amps do a great job replicating tube-like tones. But still feels different to me. Some solid states do a fine job with cleans. Vox comes come to mind...

I also liked the Line 6 HD147 that I had, it was digital.

Juggernaut
11-24-2008, 01:19 AM
Shit one of the BEST "clean" amps out there is SS.

Roland JC120

Seems to be a benchmark for clean tones....

That said, one isn't better than the other in my experience, it's just a matter of taste and cork-sniffery. I'm a HUGE fan of both, I love tubes, but my Randalls are every bit as heavy and killer sounding as any tube amp I've had......which is MANY.

Brian Krashpad
12-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Shit one of the BEST "clean" amps out there is SS.

Roland JC120

Seems to be a benchmark for clean tones....

I was going to mention that specific amp. A lot of jazz and some blues guys use those. Bo Diddley did too:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/8447/bodiddleysoundcheck1zz5.jpg

See, his JC 120 is right here. ^^^^^ Don't mind the smiling bassist in the background, he's an idiot. :biggrin:

MetalMac
12-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Well, I stand corrected. I just always assumed that a lot of metal players used SS. Maybe it's just ignorance on my part, but I have never heard of that amp that you guys are talking about that is solid state and has a good clean tone.

MetalMac
12-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Man, I wish I had 450 bucks :frownz: Oh and Brian, I'm jealous of you for getting to play with Bo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLAND-JC-120-JC120-JAZZ-CHORUS-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ320318294655QQcmdZViewItem

Brian Krashpad
12-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Man, I wish I had 450 bucks :frownz: Oh and Brian, I'm jealous of you for getting to play with Bo.

http://cgi.SleazeBay.com/ROLAND-JC-120-JC120-JAZZ-CHORUS-EXCELLENT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ320318294655QQcmdZViewItem

Most fun ever. A total "right place, right time" kinda thing. He didn't say boo to me all night though. He was a bit frail by then, I didn't want to get in his face or bug him, we had to help him up the stairs to the stage (he had lost a toe, presumably to diabetes or some similar circulatory problem, and wasn't real steady on his pins).

It was a pick-up show, a local benefit. NO practice. I had to wing it all night. His daughter Terri was playing keys, and the rest of the band was local guys filling in. Beforehand I asked Terri if she could shoot me some keys at the start of the songs at least, since I was positioned where I couldn't see what Bo was playing.

Bo heard me, turns around, and says "We don't do that "key" shit."

:biggrin:

Juggernaut
12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Thats an awesome story!!!!! :w:

Brian Krashpad
12-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Thats an awesome story!!!!! :w:

Thanks, looking back, I honestly still can't believe it. It was funny, when I arrived, his daughter see me walk in with my case and says "The bass player is here." (Bo was onstage messing with his guitar and amp settings, and she was waiting on some borrowed keyboards to arrive.)

So I say, "Yes, if this gentleman will have me."

Total silence from Bo.

After I set up, Terri, the daughter, says "You must be mighty brave agreeing to play with Bo like this, I've played with him many times and I'm still not used to it."

Remember, this is HIS DAUGHTER saying this.

I laughed and said I didn't know if I was brave or stupid, but there was NO WAY I'd ever turn down the opportunity.

It was the kind of thing that VERY easily coud've gone south at any point. I've never played in a "cover band" or done a lot of "jamming" with people centered on covers. With no practice, I just had to find the key and follow where he went, if I could. Thank God most of his songs are so simple. It could've been an absolute disaster quite easily, instead it will no doubt be one of my most cherished stage memories.

MrSandMan
12-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Judging from that big smile on your face, it was a hell of time. Is that Bo's daughter on drums in that photo?

MrSandMan
12-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Ah yes, the age old debate. One would argue that the tube amps will be better suited for a cleaner style of playing, whereas the transistor amps would be better suited for hard rock/metal. I personally love both styles of amps and own one of each. I love my Valve Junior and my RG100. I'm just curious to hear what your opinions are on the subject!

Peace :sweet:

Also see the Kustom Double Cross (http://www.gear-vault.com/kustom-double-cross-guitar-amp-head/)

http://www.gear-vault.com/kustom-double-cross-guitar-amp-head/

Brian Krashpad
12-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Judging from that big smile on your face, it was a hell of time. Is that Bo's daughter on drums in that photo?

That's not Terri, who platyed keys, I believe it's one of his nieces. She was just futzing around, that pic was from sound check, she didn't play drums for the set. Since Bo lived in a small town outside Gainesville, I get the impression that his extended family showed up at every local show.

One of his nephews worked at the car place where I used to have work done.

snapascrew
01-01-2009, 01:13 PM
depends what sound your going for, if your looking for a "noob shit" sound you will most likley like solid state amps. but if your looking for a, whats teh word, o ya "good" sound tube amps are for you :jumpgrin:

Brian Krashpad
01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
depends what sound your going for, if your looking for a "noob shit" sound you will most likley like solid state amps. but if your looking for a, whats teh word, o ya "good" sound tube amps are for you :jumpgrin:

So basically what you're saying is that Bo Diddley, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, who played professionally for a half century and helped invent rock and roll, was a "noob?"

:confused:

snapascrew
01-03-2009, 12:30 AM

So basically what you're saying is that Bo Diddley, a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, who played professionally for a half century and helped invent rock and roll, was a "noob?"

:confused:

nah, prolly just had poop tone

MatrixClaw
01-31-2009, 12:54 PM
I used to be a tube purist until I go my Ampeg VH-140C.

That amp slays half of the "high end" tube amps I've played and owned. The cleans are amazing and the distortion is huge.

MrSandMan
01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm considering buying another Peavey Transtube EFX. Great amps.

Matrix, have any clips of the Ampeg VH-140C?

MatrixClaw
01-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah I have quite a few up in my UG profile.

Profile.ultimate-guitar.com/MatrixClaw is it I believe.

MrSandMan
01-31-2009, 08:21 PM
Oh yeah, the Ampeg is amazing, I really like the new mic / Ampeg test and the Clean channel. The cleans are simply amazing. What year was it built?

(I found it via google as you replied to this thread)

MatrixClaw
01-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Oh yeah, the Ampeg is amazing, I really like the new mic / Ampeg test and the Clean channel. The cleans are simply amazing. What year was it built?

(I found it via google as you replied to this thread)

I honestly have no idea when it was built. The amp sounds great though, I'm currently trying to trade it and one (or both) of my 2x12 cabs for a decent combo though. My gear is taking up wayyyy too much room in my house and a little 1x12 combo would be good to have for band practices so I don't have to bring a head and cab or plug into our PA, plus it would actually fit in my car instead of having to use the bassist's car :jumpgrin:

Redline68
01-31-2009, 11:02 PM
I'll have to try one.

I'm not a purist at all, but I love my current amp (tube). In fairness, the solid state amps I've had were all low end models. The right amp just makes everything sound so much better.

Brian Krashpad
02-01-2009, 07:22 AM
I didn't realize Ampeg even made SS amps.

The lead singer in my side band has an old ('60's I'm guessing) Ampeg 1x15 tube combo and it sounds great. Also, back in the early 1990's the rhythm guitarist in a band I was in, Smart Bomb, had an Ampeg 2x12 tube combo that sounded pretty good too. I know there are pictures of them on the web, I'll try to dig them up.

Brian Krashpad
02-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Here's the 1x15 combo I was talking about, on the left:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/1243/009_7A.JPG

As you can see, even though it's a 1x15 it's still smaller than my 4x12 on the right. Not sure what it's called. Gemini II I think.

Brian Krashpad
02-01-2009, 08:00 AM
On the left in this pic (under the "Smart Bomb" sign is the Ampeg 2x12 I mentioned. I think you can just barely see the "a" logo.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1885/hbcsbivxw2.jpg

MatrixClaw
02-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, Geminis are pretty cool, there was one on CL a few weeks ago that I wanted to pick up but the guy never answered his emails.

The VH-140C is a SS amp made by Lee Jackson, the VL series Ampegs are the tube versions of the 140C, there's one for sale on my CL but he wants WAY too much for it and won't take any trades :thumbdown:

MrSandMan
02-01-2009, 12:57 PM
There's a Gemini II (blonde head) on ebay. I think they are asking too much, but I dunno.

MatrixClaw
02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
There's a Gemini II (blonde head) on SleazeBay. I think they are asking too much, but I dunno.

The one by me was selling for $300 I think it was. Not a bad price.

crazy_guitar_man
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
yeah i don't own both types mentioned in the first post but i have tried both and don't have a preference but i like both really...and wow i wish i could have got to play with bo diddley haha

Brian Krashpad
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
[quote=MrSandMan ]
The one by me was selling for $300 I think it was. Not a bad price.

Not at all, very reasonable If I was looking for a good solid all-around tube amp for gigging, I'd be all over that like white on rice.

Brian Krashpad
02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
yeah i don't own both types mentioned in the first post but i have tried both and don't have a preference but i like both really...and wow i wish i could have got to play with bo diddley haha

Haha, right place, right time. If you manage to live long enough, cool stuff of some sort will happen.

crazy_guitar_man
02-04-2009, 08:44 PM
haha yeah i had a few circumstances like that at ballgames haha walking up to the ticket stand and someone giving me tickets haha but other than that...

cubis
02-06-2009, 01:25 AM
i met the wu-tang clan! RZA signed my CD because it was their debut... he didn't sign anything else for anyone else and he talked to me about the death of ODB

anyway, on topic, i don't know about amps but I have a tube preamp and it sounds nice. i guess you'd call it a warm tone... but i've never had a solid state so i wouldn't know the difference lol

crazy_guitar_man
02-06-2009, 01:38 AM
wow i wish i could meet cool people like this :frown:

cubis
02-06-2009, 01:50 AM
that was my one and only encounter with famous people

well, there was that time i got drunk with the pope :yess:

crazy_guitar_man
02-06-2009, 01:57 AM
haha speaking of the pope real funny thing to do if someone asks you a question where the answer is clearly no tell them does the pope shit in the woods...example...is the grass blue? does the pope shit in the woods!.. haha priceless reactions everytime

cubis
02-06-2009, 01:58 AM
lol that is funny

i might do that with definite yes-es too

crazy_guitar_man
02-06-2009, 01:59 AM
haha yeah that is probably one of my favorite no brainer lines to give back to people with dumb questions haha

Entrant_21
02-13-2009, 08:48 PM
I like both equally, I prefer a mix of both to be honest. I';m investing in a Valvestate soon after some testing sessions at a music store.

Tubes distort best and sound awesome but can be dangerous if anything goes wrong. tubes also need to be maintained often if you wish to get the same tones over and over. Whereas SS amps are more reliable, safer and sound exactly the same everytime you turn them on, but their distortion isn't as nice, they don't clean up anywhere near as well as tubes.

It all depends on the purpose really!

Brian Krashpad
02-14-2009, 08:09 AM
I've never really had dependability problems with tube amps. My ss ones have been just as problematic.