PDA

View Full Version : Using Audio Editors for learning songs

Fender_man
10-18-2008, 11:04 PM
I was wondering if you could use a program like audacity or the like to import an mp3, and isolate a track (like a guitar or bass line) to better learn the part in the song. :confused: I have a decent ear, however there always seems to be something lost in translation when I learn a song completely by ear (particularly jazzy chords), and it would be a fantastic asset to be able to hear a song literally one track at a time, as fast or slow as I need. Thanks

jag_baby_83
10-18-2008, 11:08 PM
No, not with Audacity.

But you can with an application called Transcribe! (http://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html). You can select a section of the song, slow it down, speed it up, change the tone an octave up, down, whatever. It's cool but there's a 30 day limit, but I think the price is worth it... (50 bucks? idk what tickles your fancy)

Fender_man
10-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Okay, cool. I'll look into that then. Thanks :biggrin:

ninja636
10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
I usually just record whatever song I'm learning onto cassette, and pop in a tape deck. I've gone through quite a few tape decks over the years, hitting rewind while playing seems to wear them out. I don't even want to know how many "miles" of tape I've gone through. I know it's probly quit a few. I'll have to check that program out too. Might be easier. :sweet: