PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought.

ninja636
09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
In my quest for a good guitar tech here in podunk AL, I've become VERY frustrated. So I'm thinking of going to a luthier school and learn the shit myself. I've come across sooo many abused guitars at the local pawnshops that only needed a little TLC from a good tech and maybe a fresh coat of lacquer, but passed them up because there is no such thing as a "good tech" in the area. I'm pretty sure these axe's dismall slip into their current state is why they ended up in a pawnshop to start with. I talked it over with my wife and she thinks it's a good idea, I can run a shop out of my house, buy guitars cheap, fix them up, and sell them on Gear-Vault! We did some calculating, and if I can time it just right, and don't use up anymore vacation time this year, when I get some more vacation time next year, the 11 weeks will be paid by my employer :biggrin:. Here's the school I'm thinking of, and this is just a thought still. The school is about an hour and a half away, so I could conceivably drive(or ride, depending on the weather) back and forth everyday.

http://luthiersinternational.com/index.html

MrSandMan
09-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Hell yeah. Go for it. Knowledge is better than money in the bank... :sweet:

ninja636
09-29-2008, 09:17 PM
Like I said, still just a thought. I just don't like the idea of burnin' up all my vacation. Plus that means no AMA Superbike race in Birmingham next year(been the last 4 years) and the week at Musicians Institute will be forfiet :frownz:. But I could make and repair my own guitars, do simple amp repairs and build speaker cabs, hell, I could concievably start my own line of guitars, nah, that'd never happen. But it would be nice to fix my own shit without paying some dumbass to fuck it up more, which is the case with the "techs' at the lms here. :yess:

MrSandMan
09-30-2008, 03:07 AM
Sounds like a tough choice bro. If you love working on guitars, it might be a nice asset for you in the long run. That's why I said it's better than money in the bank :biggrin: