PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Rewire - No Sound

MatrixClaw
09-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Ok, I'm putting the original Gibson pickups back into my SG, everything is still wired up on them besides 6 things being clipped:

Both pickup connections to the volume pots (right connection), one wire randomly coming off the top of each of the volume pots (both supposed to go to middle position on switch?) and one coming from each of the middle connections (each goes to outside position on switch?)

I've wired it up exactly how my SG Standard is, but still - neither pickup position produces any sound (The bridge pickup did work at one point, then we went back to see why the other two positions didn't work... and then the bridge no longer worked again).

The wiring is setup exactly like this:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHH3T2201

Any idea what's wrong? I've been tryin to figure this thing out for the past 3 hours and it's REALLY getting annoying.

MrSandMan
09-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Are you getting hums or noises at all?

I'm sure you double checked our ground, right?

I'll take a look at the link right now

MatrixClaw
09-25-2008, 01:40 AM
I rewired everything today, no sound again. Someone suggested that it might be the switch that's gone bad... I noticed that if I press the "leaves" of the switch together I do hear a little blip of something if i hold them together for a while, though it's not instantly.

After the rewire, I got a few notes out of the neck pickup when i pushed its wire down the top of the pot. I figured that was just for ground and didn't bother wiring that in yet, so I soldered it onto the top, as well as the ground wire to the bridge... no sound again.

I then pulled the wires from the pickups through the cavity and the neck sounds distorted when it's supposed to be, but the bridge sounds clean on any setting...? The middle position doesn't work when these two work, but if i move the wires a bit, it sometimes comes on in the middle, but then either only the bridge will work with it, or nothing else will work.

So this leads me to believe it's either:

A) Something wrong with the switch.
or
B) Something is shorting out in the wires coming from the pickups.

I really don't see how anything could be wrong with it, all of the electronics were taken out working, the switch worked fine with the EMGs that were in it, and now putting the old electronics back in gives bad results?

MrSandMan
09-25-2008, 12:00 PM
In that link in the OP it shows you how to wire the pickup direct, I suggest wire each pickup direct, bypass the volume / tone / switch.

If the pickup works, then you may need a new switch or volume. If no sound, the pup is defective.

MatrixClaw
09-25-2008, 03:40 PM
In that link in the OP it shows you how to wire the pickup direct, I suggest wire each pickup direct, bypass the volume / tone / switch.

If the pickup works, then you may need a new switch or volume. If no sound, the pup is defective.

That's a good idea actually, I was thinking about doing that myself!

MrSandMan
09-28-2008, 10:28 PM
let me know how it goes...