PDA

View Full Version : MESA 20/20 OR PEAVEY CLASSIC 50/50

fireman257
08-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi every one hope this is where to ask this question.Ok now for the lowdown on what I am wanting to do. First off I just got the new GT-10 by boss my band plays a big mix from country to metal, Blues to pop and oldies, so I need to be versatile in my tones. I want to hook my GT-10 strait to the stereo rack mount head then out to a right and left cab with Vintage 30's so I need to get the stereo head I have found 2 that sound like what may work and that is the Mesa 20/20 and or the Peavey 50/50 classic I am going to mic it and go threw our PA system so I don't need lots of volume. My axes are a fender strat, Vantage VP795 and a Les Paul with 498T and 500T pickups. them are the main ones I use .I want to be able to also get a real good Bluesy tone so my question is which rack amp head would be best matched for what I want and if neither of these please let me know what other one would be better. Please respond asap before my wife finds out I have this money to get it with she will want to go to Wal-Mart LOL. :confused:

MrSandMan
08-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi every one hope this is where to ask this question.Ok now for the lowdown on what I am wanting to do. First off I just got the new GT-10 by boss my band plays a big mix from country to metal, Blues to pop and oldies, so I need to be versatile in my tones. I want to hook my GT-10 strait to the stereo rack mount head then out to a right and left cab with Vintage 30's so I need to get the stereo head I have found 2 that sound like what may work and that is the Mesa 20/20 and or the Peavey 50/50 classic I am going to mic it and go threw our PA system so I don't need lots of volume. My axes are a fender strat, Vantage VP795 and a Les Paul with 498T and 500T pickups. them are the main ones I use .I want to be able to also get a real good Bluesy tone so my question is which rack amp head would be best matched for what I want and if neither of these please let me know what other one would be better. Please respond asap before my wife finds out I have this money to get it with she will want to go to Wal-Mart LOL. :confused:

Welcome to the forums! :2thumbups:

Yeah, you better hurry up and buy something man, cause if she's anything like my wife.. shew!

I personally don't have a lot of experience with either one, I read great stuff on both. However, I am a biased Mesa nut... so my vote goes to Mesa.

On another note, Peavey make damn good quality gear... so I understand your dilemma.

From another point a view, Mesa holds better value unlike Peavey gear. So if you do go with Mesa and decide that it's not for you, your chances of selling it off without losing money is better (If you buy it for a good price used).

Hope this helps a little and sorry I couldn't offer a bit more information. Maybe some else here can chime in.

GL :sweet:

fireman257
08-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Yep she is bad about spending it and saying I will give it back but I never see it lol so yep I got to hurry or I will be stuck with my Marshall half stack lol what a pity lol thanks for the info. My friend has 2 mesa's I like them real well just unsure as what will fit me the best for now but the part about holding its value is a good point that may sway me that way lol thanks again and thanks to whom ever else give me any info :)

ninja636
08-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Yep, ALL wives do the same thing when it comes to a man's extra money, especially when he wants to by some new toyz. I agree with Sandman about the Mesa gear, just go to your local pawnshop and see how much PV gear you find versus other "name" brands, and at rock bottom prices. Sometimes you luck out though and find a diamond among all the lumps of coal. I did. :biggrin: How's that GT 10 man? I had a GT 8, but traded it off for a bunch of pedals at the UG site. Too much tweaking for ONE effect to sound the way you want, let alone a whole amp sim. I tried a GT10 at the LMS, it seemed like it was a little faster to tweak with the visual thingy, and not so many knobs and stuff to mess with.

fireman257
08-17-2008, 06:27 PM
I love the GT-10 I can get any sound I want with this thing and the modeling seems to have come a long way from the gt-8. and if you just want to make a really fast tone you can by using the easy tone buttons then just pick your style and set a few knobs and presto you are playing in less then 5 min. I am a gear nut though and love to tweak things so I take the longer way around and get in to manual mode and start there but still easy and don't take to long at all. I have been running it strait through my PA system and I have a friend that designs speakers and is a he** of a sound guy he can hear things I cant lol and he says even going through the PA it don't sound digital like most MFX pedals and he says I am getting a great tone he cant figure out why I want to spend money on a tube amp for my rack but like I said I am a gear nut lol got to have it to see if I want it lol.

MatrixClaw
08-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Out of both of those, I'd say the Mesa is the higher quality piece of gear. However, the Classic 50/50 is going to be loud, which I'm not sure if you'll need or not. The Mesa will sound great, but if you're going to be pushing it almost full on at gigs or practice and need it tight for when you're playing metal stuff, I'd probably go for the Peavey instead for the extra headroom. The powertubes will start to saturate too much on the Mesa and most likely make it sound quite a bit looser.

I'm honestly not sure the price on those used, depending on your budget there's a used Mesa 50/50 over at the Harmony-Central forum for $500 I believe it is. Not a bad price, and that's something that will last quite a while.