PDA

View Full Version : I fixed it!!

ninja636
07-28-2008, 01:16 AM
I fixed my axe today!! All it needed was 2 screws for the spring claw. The 2 stock screws were too short after I installed the tremol-no. The spring claw that comes with it is like 4-5(or more) times thicker. So when I was adjusting my action the stock screws just pulled out of the wood when I used my Floyd to play some Pantera. But when they pulled out they pulled out some big chunks(about the size of a Zippo lighter flint) of wood with them. So I had to buy not only longer screws(1.5" longer), but thicker ones as well. This prompted me to have to drill the screw holes in the Tremol-No's spring claw out a little. No problem once I got my workbench up in my little music room. Now I notice a BIG difference in tone, and sustain without the Tremol-No locked down. I guess the bigger screws are making a "bigger" contact with the guitar or something like that. Any ways, it sounds WAY better than it ever did before. Weird.

MrSandMan
07-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Adding bigger and thicker screws gives the guitar more sustain and bigger tone?

What wood is the body?

ninja636
07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I have to retract some of my previous statement. I had my Super Comp on when I was trying it out. It's an automatic habit to cut it on when I play. But it does sound a bit different than before with out the comp on. More bassy I guess. Or maybe it's just a psychological thing. Like when you wash your car(or bike), it seems to drive better. The body is agathis with a flamed maple top. But when I lock down the tremelo, it does give a different tone and better sustain. Right now it just seems like I can "hear" the wood better.

ninja636
07-31-2008, 01:05 AM
I talked to a guy at the music store today about this phenomenon, this is what he told me. The 2 bigger screws added more mass to the floating bridge(Floyd Rose trem), But probably not enough to make as big a difference as I was noticing. The fact that I adjusted my action after so long(the last time it was adjusted was when I bought it 3 years ago), that is why I noticed such a big difference in tone,sustain, and playability. He told me I should adjust my action/truss rod more often, given the humidity levels, and changes that happen through the year down hear in the south. Kinda makes sense to me. Guess I'll be doing a little more maintenance on my guitar/s from now on. He also told me that winter time is the worst on guitars and wood in general, cause when your heater kicks on it dries the ambient air in your house very rapidly. Then he tried to sell me a humidifier for my guitar case, no thanks.

MrSandMan
07-31-2008, 02:10 AM
Makes sense. I usually don't muck around with the truss rod unless I want to set the action to new gauge of strings.'

Humidifier for the case, eh. nice. :biggrin: Wonder if he'd throw in a 12v cigarette adaptor and extension cord for the car? :jumpgrin:

fireman257
08-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Well at least you didnt have to do what I did lol I got my son a guitar nothing fancy at all he let one of his friends try to tune it one day and it pulled out a huge chunk of wood under the trem on it ( not a floating one) so to make a short story longer lol I had to drill out a much bigger hole and glue a dowel pin in it and then re drill it it had an anchor in it hmm just looked at it and it is a floating trem lol so now you can see this dowel pin around it now and now I need to re paint it so you cant see it might do that one day and put some kind of custom paint job on it lol.

ninja636
08-20-2008, 06:40 AM
At least its fixed and is playable for him now. :2thumbups:

fireman257
08-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Yep but he is to lazy now to try to learn so it hangs on my wall just waiting lol.