PDA

View Full Version : Weekend report!

Brian Krashpad
06-29-2008, 10:14 PM
OK, I've tried to get people to talk about their musical hisotry, or post any press they've gotten as a result of same.

Here's a new idea.

On Sunday night, or Monday, come here and tell us about your weekend. More interesting things happen on weekends. And even if nothing really interesting happened, tell us anyhow!

That said, my weekend:

Friday:

My brother-in-law had volunteered to come hlep up with some home improvements this weekend and bring his nice mitre saw to cut our laminate to length as we installed it, but some stuff came up and he bailed.

So, me and Mrs. K went and bought a 10" compound mitre saw at Lowe's. Marked for a certain price on the box, but right next to it was a big neon green sign saying "Black & Decker bench and hand tools 15% off."

So we get to the checkout, and say, "It should be 15% off." Cashier is a schlub with no authority so he calls the head cashier, a mean little 5 foot-nothing bulldyke named "Star" (not that there's anything wrong with that) over. I walk her over to the sign. She say's the 15% is already off, even though the price on the item doesn't show any markdown. She's like "Too bad, it's in the computer, only the manager..."

"Let's go get the manager."

So the manager comes over and makes it right, and Star evaporates before we can turn around to thank her for her "help." I mean she literally ran in the opposite direction as soon as my back was turned.

Little bitch.

Saturday:

Installed laminate wood flooring in our living room and dining room all day. First, we pulled up the remainder of the carpet that had been under the sideboard, and finished putting a vapor barrier down in the dining room. Then, we had to move the sideboard to the opposite side of the room. We'd already taken all the drawers out.

My wife assured me there was nothing breakable left in the 2 side compartments with doors on them.

Foolishly, I trusted her.

We called the kids in and picked the thing up. Side compartment door opens, a bunch of stuff slides onto the floor with the sound of breaking glass. My left foot is immediately pierced in 2 different places, and, I later noticed, I had a 1-inch gash on the side of my right foot as well. Fortunately, although there's some blood, they are all extremely shallow cuts, really only like scratches. I looked for some band-aids for the bigger, bleeding, one on the bottom of my left foot so I wouldn't bleed on the new floor. Finding no band-aids, I washed off the cut, put a small piece of paper towel over it to sop up any leaks, and wrapped some packing tape around it and up and over my ankle a time or 2 so it wouldn't come lose.

Good as new!

So then we cleaned up the mess, and finished moving the sideboard. We set up the mitre saw on a table on the front porch, and kept our hand jigsaw out there too for cutting around obstacles (Of course, even though they were under the porch, when we were done we brought the saws in overnight.) We layed laminate all day,from the west wall until we got to the eastern end of the opening between the 2 rooms. This left about 3 feet in the dining room, and about 1/3 of the (larger) living room to complete. However, we had no plans to immediately complete the living room, because in the remaing 1/3 of the room is our huge computer armoire, which will have to be emptied and moved before we can floor under it ( and there's still carpet under the computer armoire that'll have to be pulled up, etc.).

Sunday:

Finished dining room flooring. Only 3 or so feet, but took forever, because each pice ad to be ripped to fit along the far edge, plus we had to make special cuts to fit into the transition into the doorway to the kitchen. The kitchen doorway jigsaw cutting took at least 3 hours.

Watched the Euro 2008 Championship match.

Moved the sideboard back into the dining room, moved the dining table back into the dining room. Took down the cornice board over the living room window (for painting walls later). Took down table on porch and brough saws back in. Son got invited to stay over at his friend's huse, so left around dinner.

Now eating pizza and drinking beer.

Should be reading the transcript of a 3-day divorce trial.

Maybe later tonight.

Probably not.

MrSandMan
06-29-2008, 11:00 PM
Sounds like you had quite the eventful weekend. That's cool that you got a saw for 15% off, that's a handy saw... if you're doing lots of work. Sounds like you're doing lots of remodel work. We just did our bathroom last fall. I still have some cosmetic work (trim)- because I don't have a good mitre saw. lol

Making a bandage out of tape and paper towel = determination. We can start calling you Krashpad Mcgiver ;)

Our weekend wasn't as eventful, which isn't a bad thing. My daughter is gone to her moms for the week and my gf had the weekend off.

Friday she cleaned house all day and I was trying to learn some coding and stuff (very time consuming). Friday night we order a pizza and hot wings from pizza hut and watched TV until 2 - 3am.

Saturday I slept in till 11, then.... I don't even know what we did. Just puttered around. Saturday evening we were suppose to meet some friends at the karaoke bar. After we discovered the tire flat on the car, I searched the tread to find a nail. So we had to cancel on that...

Saturday night while we were in the living room, I kept thinking that I saw something out the peripheral of my eye... after I convinced myself that my eyes were playing tricks on me... I'd see it again. I didn't hear anything, so I ignored it. Suddenly here comes a bat out of our bedroom down the hall and into my daughters bedroom. I was like WTF!?! (I'm a chicken shit when it comes to bats) so I grabbed the first thing I could find.. a laundry basket and assumed my position. I snuck into the kitchen and grabbed the broom and the mop. I gave the broom to my gf and I took took the mop. We tip-toed down the hall and couldn't see the bat, but we assumed it was still in my daughters room.... well it wasn't. It found it's way back into our bedroom and swooped out down the hall at us... I ran back to the living room hoping to get room to get a good swing at the pest. before I new it, my girl had it pinned down to the floor with the broom. I stomped on it, threw a towel over it and took it outside. Yep, killed it.

Now I keep thinking that I see stuff out the peripheral of my eye again.

Today we took the car up to get the tire fixed. WalMart tire department wanted to sell us a new tire, said the nail hole couldn't be fixed. So I bought a tire plug kit for $2.39 in the store, while we were there we had to do grocery shopping. I hate giving walmart my money, but since walmart put all the mom and pops out of business, we have little choice. We came home and I fixed tire and changed the oil. Mowed the grass... then we cooked out on the grill and watched some TV.

And that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Nothing too exciting. (did I mention that I hate bats?)

ninja636
06-30-2008, 06:30 AM
here's mine:
Friday-went to work
Saturday-went to work
Sunday- yup you guessed it,...went to work

now I'm waiting for today to be over so my vacation can start. First, I gotta go to the hospital and get ALL my MRI tests on cdrom. Then tuesday going to Atlanta getting a hotel room, find out where my appointment is, go to the zoo or Georgia Aquarium, visit a couple of music stores, go to Bass Pro Shops and pick up a few things, back to the hotel. Wensday, Going to my appointment(hopefully they'll find out why I have double vision and can fix it so I can ride my crotch rocket again) then going to Augusta afterwards to PARTY with family and friends for the 4th. :w:

Edit: I forgot, saturday we got our stimulus check, went shopping bought a few video games, and the Metal Gear Solid version of the PS3. Ordered some D'Addrio bulk strings(10's), and bought 2 new AC units for the house(no central...YET).

Brian Krashpad
06-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Aha, some responses!

Chaz, bats are scary for good reason-- some have been known to carry rabies. Gotta be careful with critters like that. We once discovered a squirrel in our upstairs bathroom toilet! Apparently he had come in through the attic, though how or why he ended up in the toilet we still don't know, probably hungry and thirsty and trying to get a drink. We just put the seat down so he couldn't get out and called animal control. They captured him and released him outside.

Ninja, good luck with the tests!

floydmoline
07-01-2008, 04:04 AM
the ONLY eventful thing that happened to me last weekend was we moved my parent's furniture, which took all day sunday, and part of monday too........ it was more like a srpring cleaning than a furniture move, which sucks since i only signed up for the furniture move (couple minute job)..... haha job was on me..... :-P

Brian Krashpad
07-07-2008, 09:20 AM
Thursday: Mrs. K was working and took our daughter with to help at class, then go to UF fireworks after, son went to the same fireworks with his girl friend (not one word). I stayed home and drank beer and ate a bag of "lite" chips. Won't do the chips thing again.

Friday: did some flooring work in the morning but wasn't feeling too well due to the aforementioned chips. They used to have warnings on them not to eat too many because it can mess you up, but they've taken the warnings off. Guess what? They can still mess you up. Mrs. K took kids to a party in the afternoon for one of her students, who is returning to Cuba, but I still wasn't very well so I didn't go.

Drove up to the nearby town of Alachua for their fireworks around 9. Came home and fired off our own fireworks around 10:30 or so.

Saturday: more flooring and painting and trim work. Floor was finished on Saturday, and I painted the quarter-round trim. Bought a new blade for the power mitre saw and installed it. That's some scary shit. Because if you fuck up and a ten-inch saw blade comes loose, bad things happen.

Sunday: we cut and installed the trim, not only for the new living room and dining room floor, but also in the master bedroom, which we'd never got round to, while watching Wimbledon. Nail guns rock. Now the entire downstairs of Casa Krashpad has wood laminate flooring! Yay! Still have a little trim work to do in the living room where we're putting some molding along the bottom of a bookcase (stain didn't take right and will have to be re-done), but we're almost close enough to start getting furniture back into the living room.

MrSandMan
07-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you're coming right along with your remodel work. Reading your posts make me want to go rip out the kitchen. lol

Thursday we drove to my home town (big party) to watch the show. Traffic and people were crazy. Cops were everywhere. We had to sit in traffic for 30 minutes just to get out of the jam mess. Next year we'll walk.

Friday we went to my best friends, he had a bunch of fireworks. We spent most of the day there doing the cook-out, bonfire, shooting-the-shit thing. Kids played and everyone had fun. We left around 11pm because the old lady had to be to work Sat. morning.

Saturday my daughter went and spent the day up at the lake with her grandma and cousins and the rest of that side of the family, invetiable she spent the night with her grandma. So me and the old lady had a relaxing evening and pretty much just chilled at home. Around 2am Saturday night, I started craving blue-berry pancakes, so we went to the 24hr diner and had pancakes :biggrin:

Sunday, my dad had a reunion for his girlfriend's side of the family. He wanted us to come, so the three of went there for a cook-out then we went to the beach.

Needless to say, I'm glad the 4th of July festivities are over... now maybe gas prices will go down? Highly doubtful.

MrSandMan
09-08-2008, 08:34 AM
This weekend me and Mrs.B tore apart our kitchen. Sanded the wood and getting ready to texture and paint. Have to blow on some ceiling texture hopefully tomorrow.

Saturday I moved black dirt with the tractor... trying to build up around the house so the basement doesn't flood. Our sump pumps were working extra hard last spring. Lots of stuff to do before cold weather. gah

Brian Krashpad
09-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Had a wild weekend by my standards.

Friday my kids went down to Universal Studios Orlando for a concert, with their church group. Since I would have to pick them up at 2:30 am, and Mrs. K was going to happy hour with some friends, I figured I might as well go out. After dropping off my daughter at the church I came home, had some dinner and a few beers, sat down in a chair, and fell asleep, figuring the missus would be back by 6 pm, maybe 8 at the latest.

Woke up, 11 pm! Called to make sure Mrs. K was OK (just out yakking with her fellow teachers still), threw on some clothes and drove downtown. Being the night before the UF-Miami game, it was pretty crazy. Parked 5 or 6 blocks from my destination and hoofed it to avoid getting screwed at the pay parking lot.

The aforementioned destination was a benefit for an old acquaintance of mine, Rob MacGregor, a local musician and studio owner, who’d got on the wrong end of a drunk driver’s car. I’ve gigged with him several times in the past (including one of his band Grain’s last shows being my annual birthday gig) and recorded a couple albums for my local piss-ant bands at his studios. He’s recorded all the Gainesville indie/punk “names” like Hot Water Music, Against Me, and Less Than Jake too.

I had a great time, here’s a pic of MacGregor playing harp with the band, called the Righteous Kind, a couple of whom are also buddies of mine, that’s his walker (ouch) in the foreground:

http://a241.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/10/l_0fc52149c77ec1b9046003f282fdc418.jpg

One of the first people I ran into their was my friend Marjorie from my neighborhood, out on a date, she introduces me as Brian “Krashpad” Kruger, haha, here’s those 2:

http://a412.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/104/l_50877658251802d5a533a4efab793763.jpg

Then I ran into my friend Rebekah, out on a "sort of first date" with another buddy of mine, Rob Harris. That was a little awkward, because she came up and started talking to me for quite awhile. But she's really yummy (if I were single...) so I was charming, let her sip my extra beer (it was packed so I'd bought 2 pints at once just to avoid the bar line!) and put in a good word for Harris. Here's that lot:

http://a814.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/75/l_5b490d955d58aef1a407e4f4bd169545.jpg

The band photog also managed to take perhaps the most unflattering pic of me ever taken, but what the hell:

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/9532/krashpadpint35706362effjx5.jpg

So anyhow, the band finishes up and I drive over to the church to wait on the kids. While I'm in the parking a lot all kinds of people are walking through, going between an apartment complex on one side and a house party on the other. This couple goes by, and the girl, a gorgeous blonde, comes running up and says "Wait, I have to tie something on you!

I'm thinking "What does that even mean?" as she proceeeds to take 3 brown paper towel squares, still linked, off a roll under her arm, rolls them up and ties them around my head in a head band. She then says " Don't take this off, if you go downtown you'll see everyone is wearing these!" Well, I had just come from downtown, and had not seen one person impersonating a Micosukee tribesman with a paper towel headband. She then explained gleefully "It's for charity!"

And off they went. Such is Gainesville on the night before a big Gator football game.

My kids arrived shortly thereafter, and of course I still had the headband on, because, after all, it WAS for charity. They had a great laugh when I told them the story of how the headband came to be on me, and we finally rolled in to Casa Krashpad at 3 a.m.

On Saturday we slept in, then I got up and mowed the front lawn. Got cleaned up and took the kids back to church for parking lot detail. The church sells spaces in their lot every home game and makes a lot of money for the youth group. Was there from 3:30 in the afternoon to 8:30, then went home and watched the game on TV.

Sunday I stayed home and did a little writing for work, watched some NFL games, and recuperated.

ninja636
09-08-2008, 03:19 PM
WOW! All I did was go to work on saturday(my last day till next week) fill out all the stupid papers the hospital ALWAYS sends you before you go see them, and then answer the same damn questions cause they ask you. And played around with my new amp. I did see a lot of Auburn hotties coming in the store, our parking lot is a shuttle point for Auburn home games. But I pissed a lot of them off cause I had "Go Southern Miss" on my name tag. I DESPISE Auburn :evil:.

Brian Krashpad
09-08-2008, 03:32 PM
WOW! All I did was go to work on saturday(my last day till next week) fill out all the stupid papers the hospital ALWAYS sends you before you go see them, and then answer the same damn questions cause they ask you. And played around with my new amp. I did see a lot of Auburn hotties coming in the store, our parking lot is a shuttle point for Auburn home games. But I pissed a lot of them off cause I had "Go Southern Miss" on my name tag. I DESPISE Auburn :evil:.

Haha, college hotties were all over Gainesville on Friday and Saturday. But I'd kinda forgotten how drunk and beligerent people get on a big game weekend. I must've seen a half-dozen shouting matches that coulda turned into brawls at any moment (fortunately, none in the bar I went to).

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, on Saturday I'm working the church lot gate with a couple of the other Youth dads, and this guy comes riding down the street, zipping along at 15 or 20 mph, on a MOTORIZED COOLER! Yep, a little ice chest! He was sitting astraddle on it, and it had 4 wheels and a little bicycle-type steering wheel, and some kind of stereo in it. Durnedest thing I ever saw!

Brian Krashpad
09-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Friday night I went with my son Jack (11) on a Boy Scout "camp-in" (camping indoors). First we brought our gear over to the church's youth lodge we'd be staying in. Then we caravaned over to the Univ. of Florida astronomy dep't and got a talk on astronomy and got to look through their telescopes. Looked at the moon, and Jupiter and it's moons, and a couple stars.

Then back to the lodge where we set up our sleeping bags and such and the kids played (pool, foosball, ping-pong, air hockey, etc.) for an hour or so before lights out.

Got up at 6:30. The Scouts went and cooked a pancake breakfast for the church's mens group, while I went home, showered, and switched cars with my wife. I went and got an oil change and went back to the lodge for lunch. Then we all caravaned over to Santa Fe College (big local community college) and went to their planetarium, which has a $500,000 star projector. The projector is cool, it can show the sky in any given location for thousands of years in the past, present or future.

http://www.sfcc.edu/planetarium/img/kikabuildingmug.jpg

http://www.sfcc.edu/planetarium/img/kikainterior.jpg

http://www.sfcc.edu/planetarium/img/kikacontrols.jpg

Then we all drove back to the lodge and broke camp and went home. I got a batch of leftover pancakes and put them in the freezer bags for my vegetarian daughter to eat for breakfast this week.

The afternoon was filled with house cleanup for the kids and I, as well as some laundry. After my wife got home from work (she teaches a college course on every other Saturday) I went grocery shopping (and got some flowers for Mrs. Krashpad), and on my return after dinner I made up some spicy baked beans for a church potluck today. I found vegetarian beans so there'll be at least one dish my daughter can eat.

In the evening I played a board/card game called "Heroscape" with my son while my daughter went to a dance with her Morman girl friend (note two words, not that there's anything wrong with that). Then we watched some TV and went to bed.

The beans're in the oven now and starting to smell good. I just made the "recipe" up on the spot: beans, dried onion flakes, cajun spice mix, some Crystal red pepper sauce (like Tabasco only not as strong), hickory BBQ sauce, honey, brown sugar. My wife was rolling her eyes the whole time but had to admit they tasted great.

Next up: church, then potluck going-away lunch for church youth leader. Quite possibly the first time a vegetarian dish has been served at a Lutheran potluck, haha!

Probably some more house/yard work this afternoon.

Let's hear some more reports! How's it hangin' peeps?

ninja636
09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
All I did was ES&S, play my guitar, and Oblivion on Xbox360. :w:

Brian Krashpad
09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
All I did was ES&S, play my guitar, and Oblivion on Xbox360. :w:

ES&S? :confused:

ninja636
09-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, you know Eat, Sleep and Sh*!. :biggrin:

Brian Krashpad
09-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Yeah, you know Eat, Sleep and Sh*!. :biggrin:

Haha, oddly, I'd never heard that'un!

ninja636
09-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I pretty much was just a bum this weekend.

Brian Krashpad
10-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Friday: brought home pizza for la familia and beer for me. Hung out with Los Krashpaditos while Mrs. K was at a happy hour with her work friends.

Saturday: In the early afternoon we worked on my son's science experiment (rock candy, yum!). Then he and I and La Krashpadita drove into town for parking detail at our church, picking up one of El Krashpadito's friends on the way. Our church is about 5 blocks from Florida Field (a/k/a The Swamp), so every home game, they sell parking spaces and make a batch of money for the youth group and college ministry (we have 2 interconnected lots, one at the church and one at the vicarage). Most of the spaces at the church are reserved, so the work involves mainly setting out traffic cones on each space with the persons' names on them, then collecting them when the lot is full.

As the game begins we order pizza, and then take the cones back down. While we were there, the youth group's adult leader asked if La Krashpadita wanted to be the youth representative to the church's Youth Group Advisory Panel, all the rest of which are adults (she later decided she would do that). I'm very proud of her-- but the church had better be ready for some opinions. ;)

After pizza and traffic-cone removal, we went home and watched the Gators dismantle the 3rd-ranked LSU Tigers and win by 30 points. GO GATORS!

Sunday: went to church, El Krashpadito was serving his first Sunday as an acolyte, so that now all our family has served in such capacity when the time came:

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/9913/smallhpim0720vm6.jpg

I couldn't be more prouderer.

During the service, I noted that one of the songs specifically called for both a bass solo and for electric guitars to come in halfway through, but none were there. I've offered to play either bass or guitar and they're too pansy to go for it (I know it's not me not being up to it, because I played at this church's sister church for a decade, plus they have another guitarist who could play if not me). :mad: Mrs. K foolishly let La Krashpadita (age 15) drive us through town traffic all the way home, and only due to the grace of Divine Providence did we survive unscathed.

In the afternoon I watched some NFL football and then the evening was spent helping El Krashpadito study for a history test. Mrs. K wasn't convinced he was studied-up enough though, so this morning I quizzed him some more and drove him to school so we could study (using flash cards) more on the way.

I now know all 6 major ancient Mesopotamian civilizations in historical order and all their starting dates. Plus a bunch more crap.

How about y'all?

MrSandMan
10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
We have an acre of wooded land (mostly bushes and dead trees) that I am trying to clear-cut out.

Dogs ran away Saturday, which is really not good. We have a chain link fence around the front of our yard because we have a busy highway out front.

So all we did was landscape and chase dogs :D

Brian Krashpad
10-15-2008, 04:43 PM
We have an acre of wooded land (mostly bushes and dead trees) that I am trying to clear-cut out.

Dogs ran away Saturday, which is really not good. We have a chain link fence around the front of our yard because we have a busy highway out front.

So all we did was landscape and chase dogs :D

Yikes! Doggie mojo sent!

Brian Krashpad
10-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Chaz, did your other dog get back?

In other news, weekend coming up again, yay!

What are your plans my peeps?

I shall be here (and incommunicado vis-a-vis las computadoras):

http://www.popapete.com/images/wekiwa/aDcp_0908.jpg

http://funandsun.com/parks/WekiwaSprings/folks.jpg

http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/0466460a-c17b-4ff7-be03-c893259eaf90.jpg

Happy Friday folks!

Hopefully I'll have some pics of the weekend by Monday or so. The old beater acoustic 12 is going along, so there shall be tunes in the woods!

Brian Krashpad
10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, I went camping at Wekiwa Spirngs, but I can't find the cable for the camera I took pics with. So I'll wait on making my report until I can get the pix out of the camera and do it up proper.

Howzabout you lot?

Brian Krashpad
10-27-2008, 09:28 AM
OK, first a quick report for this weekend, then I'll recap the Wekiwa Springs trip, w/pics!

This weekend we did the usual car-park thing for Saturday's UF-UK football game. Got home around 1:30 or so and by then the Wildcats were already toast. Hope the Gators have something left in the tank for Jahjaw next weekend at the Cocktail Party! Sunday we went to church and Jack acolyted again (see pic on first page). It was Reformation Sunday, which is a big deal in Lutheran churches, 95 Theses and all that. Unfortunately that meant that the "blended" service was even less blended than usual--ONE contemporary song, and, as usual no electric guitar or bass.

In the afternoon I fixed the kids bikes and aired up the tires and watched a little NFL.

Last night the HotHeads had practice, as a 3-piece. Looks like I'll probably be playing bass the next show unless we can get our former bassistto sit in. We're probably going to do at least one, maybe 2, Warren Zevon covers. For sure "Poor, Poor, Pitiful Me" at a minimum. That song is fun to sing, Hoyt, our lead singer, tends to sing it in his lower register and me in my higher (such as it is) so it sounds pretty cool together.

Wekiwa Recap in next post!

What about y'all's weekends?

Brian Krashpad
10-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Two weekends ago I went camping with El Krashpadito and his Scout troop to Wekiwa Springs. Here's some pics and stuff.

Stopped at the turnpike's Okahumpka service plaza on the way down for a bathroom break, and they had some sort of "official greeter" guy who let the kids pitch pennies. Here' Jack and his friends Tim and Derrick:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4229/imgp1256ik3.jpg

We arrived well after dark Friday night. Pitch black outside. On the way in we saw this sign (this photo taken the next day):

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/4356/imgp1268cr5.jpg

Here's the campsite (taken Sunday morning after the weather turned cool), adults in foreground, Shark patrol (newer Scouts) behind, older Scouts in distance:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4854/imgp1275kt4.jpg

Saturday morning, after breakfast, we got in the vehicles and went to a different part of the park and pulled Ceasar weed (a non-native invasive plant) for several hours, that's Jack on the left:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/6419/imgp1265pd8.jpg

After the weed-pulling we returned to camp for lunch. Then a 4-mile (round trip) hike to the springs. I just put my feet in as I did not want to trudge back soaking wet or bother with changing clothes. Jack and the other scouts did go swimming though, even though it was overcast. I did take a shower in the outdoor shower stalls back at camp before dinner though. That spring water was cold!

I didn't take any shots of the springs but you can see what they look like a few posts above.

After dinner we had some speakers talk about the history of the Wekiva River (springs are spelled "Wekiwa," river is with a "v") and Native Americans, including paleo-Indians and the later Miccosukee and Timucuan tribes. Saw a lot of arrowheads and spear points, some were ancient and others had been made by the speakers. One of the speakers, David White Wolf, is a Native American, and at the end of the presentation he did the traditional men's dance that shows how the wolf taught the Indians to hunt. Here is David in full regalia:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6168/imgp1274aa1.jpg

More pics in another post.

Brian Krashpad
10-27-2008, 09:33 AM
Here's some more pics.

This is the Troop's trailer (taken Sunday morning packing out), we packed up the food every night so as not to attract bears:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/3333/imgp1281ps2.jpg

Here's Jack and his friend Tim:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/4848/imgp1283jy6.jpg

Here's some wild turkeys I snuck up on while we were pulling Ceasar weed (sorry it's a little blurry):

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/1272/turkeysyl1.jpg

Here's the back of the Rockmobile packed up for the return trip. That skinny blue bag on the top is the first time I've managed to get my tent back in the bag it came in!

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/7063/imgp1280kt8.jpg

Let's hear about your weekends!

MrSandMan
10-27-2008, 11:50 AM
Must be warm weather over there. Here is cold and rainy/sleet. Suppose to snow today and tomorrow. Not looking forward to winter.

Did you see any bear? It appears that you saw a wolf =)

This weekend, my wife and I were exploring more music and bands.

We got turned on to "Black Stone Cherry" Hell and High Water, That song is just great on so many levels. I really like the live unplugged version too.

A couple others to check out is:

Chris Cornell's "Billie Jean" (Micheal Jackson cover) - This song is totally rearranged done acoustic. Very great work by Cornell.

David Cook (from Amrerican Idol) did Chris Cornell's cover version of "Billie Jean" - you can find these on youtube. Worth a listen. My wife, who was born in 1983 and doesn't understand Micheal Jackson and his pop music absolutely loves these remakes of "Billie Jean", but doesn't like the original.

Some more great Black Stone Cherry song to check out is:
-Lonely Train
-Shooting Star
-Rain Wizard

Here is Hell and High Water -
http://www.youtube.com/v/xNPKSaa9L2w&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1

Here is the live acoustic version -
http://www.youtube.com/v/kjFO2UP5IKQ&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&border=1

Brian Krashpad
10-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Cool.

Yes, it's still warm here. During the campout of over a week ago, Friday night and during the day Saturday was uncomfortably hot, though overcast and humid. Saturday night we got a smidge of mist come through with a cool front, and it was a little cool Sunday morning. For the past week it's now perfect weather, warm afternoons and cool nights. It got down to 46 F this morning.

Hopefully will be like this for another month before the cold weather comes in in fits and starts.

ninja636
10-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Me, Friday night(after work), went a practiced with some young boys that needed a guitarist to sit in for them while their's heals. It seems he broke his arm riding a motorcycle :shock: knock on some wood, I don't do the same or worse. Saturday went to work, and after went and practiced agian with the same young lads(all range in age from 15-17) turned them on to some old 80's Metal, and they plan on doing a couple of the songs I showed them in their upcoming gig(a party at a friends house). Sunday had a baby shower for my sons wife, everybody wanted me to play something for them so I played the latest song I've been practicing a lot "Little Fighter" buy White Lion. Sunday nite, went a jammed with my guy's I usually jam with, got to try out the other guitarists Mesa Express 5:50. That thing is freaking awesome :love:. All those camping pics remind me of the races at Barber's Motorsport Park. I go to at least 1 AMA Superbike race(usually in April), one WERA motorcycle race(weekend warriors, soon I'll be trying my hand at this) 1-3 Vintage races, 1-3 SCCA races, and the Rolex250 race every year. They're building a new motocross track this year too, so I'll be checking those out as well when it's completed. My wife LOVES the Vintage Motorcycle and car Museum(I like it too) it's 5 stories of motorcycles, literally. If I find some pics I know my wife saved on a disc somewhere, I'll post them in another post. :w:

Brian Krashpad
10-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Those pics sound cool!

Definitely post 'em if you find 'em.

Brian Krashpad
11-01-2008, 03:12 PM
On Halloween I watched 4 movies on AMC channel, all based on H.P. Lovecraft stories: The Haunted Palace, Die Monster Die, the Shuttered Room, and the Dunwich Horror.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/Rk4nwcLeIWI/AAAAAAAAAmI/eUAlg2jPs7o/s400/haunted+palace+poster.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/710EJ42Q5SL._SL500_AA280_.gif

http://bp2.blogger.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/Rg8WRs5vy5I/AAAAAAAAAWk/fvVdJ9LrEi8/s400/SHUT+TITLE.JPG

http://www.filmfan.com/images/onesheets/Dunwich_Horror_1SH.jpg

I'm steering clear of anyone called Whitley, Wheatly, or Wately.

But Carol Lindley=Babelicious.
http://bp3.blogger.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/RguNF85vyiI/AAAAAAAAATs/ZRmzXpF27Zs/s400/SHUT+CAROL.JPG http://bp3.blogger.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/RguNF85vyjI/AAAAAAAAAT0/eGVaO2XexcM/s400/SHUT+COUPLE.JPG

And my daughter carved us this outstanding pumpkin:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5FQJBzBqMh%2Ejpg

Brian Krashpad
11-01-2008, 03:14 PM
My son Jack was a Clone Trooper from Star Wars, he's the littler guy:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5F18PHoUp0%2EJPG

Jack and his friend Ryan went to Boo at the Zoo, a cool local tradition where the community college opens it's teaching zoo (usually open only by appointment), where they decorate the zoo in a bunch of different themes, and the kids walk through and get candy and look at the decorations and the animals:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5F8sjcASKh%2EJPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5FMjn5KxFp%2EJPG

My daughter Hannah Beth, the artist, went to a party with her high school girlfriends, here's her costume:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5FId7OGnQX%2EJPG

She carved us a fantastic pumpkin:

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5FwTPpKGoU%2EJPG

https://gnn.ufalumni.ufl.edu/visuals/florida/albums/75006/IMG%5FMA2mcXqX%2EJPG

Let's see those pics peeps! I knows you got 'em!

Brian Krashpad
11-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

My son Jack and I and his Boy Scout troop went to the Okeefenokee National Wildlife Refuge in Georgia this weekend. We camped a couple miles away from the actual Refuge property, which is half the size of the state of Rhode Island. The nights were cold, somewhere below 45 F (we were in tents), but over all we had a great trip.

We arrived Firday night and set up camp in the dark. Got the kids up with reveille Saturday morning (good to have a retired USAF bugler as one of the dads) and went out to the Refuge. After a presentation by one of the rangers and a movie about the park, we hit the canoes. We rowed out into the swamp and had lunch on a camping platform a few miles away (no dry land to be seen in any direction) and then canoe'd back. Some of it was very tight with not much more a few inches on either side of the canoe to get through. Although this was Jack's first time in a canoe (and my second!) he did great. Jack saw an alligator off in the brush a ways off the canoe trail, but I couldn't see him, they are really hard to see in the water. Later we passed by an alligator sunning himself, about 10 or 12 feet from us, on the side of the canoe trail, as we passed in the canoe. I didn't try to take a picture of that one!

All the Scouts and adults made it back safe and sound, eventually, and no one capsized all day.

Sunday after a chapel service at aour camp we packed up and then went back to the Refuge and went out to the Chesser House, which is an old swamper's cabin built in the 1920's and lived in until 1958. No electricity or running water, and with a kerosene-powered refridgerator. We also went out on a boardwalk built over the swamp and saw another gator, he's the one in the photo below.

We didn't get back to Gainesville until about 4 pm on Sunday. I'm sore and a little sunburned, but it was a memorable trip. Pix below!

Jack & BK

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4672/imgp1304qi8.jpg

Bugler
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/7523/imgp1298qk5.jpg

Ranger
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/5467/imgp1300ss5.jpg

Jack in canoe
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8562/imgp1306lu1.jpg

Lunch
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4465/imgp1309jv9.jpg

Lost?
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5139/imgp1307vv0.jpg

Will post a few more pics later.

Brian Krashpad
11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Heron
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1408/imgp1318yy6.jpg

Canoe trail
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7168/imgp1319jx9.jpg

BK w/sign
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/3495/imgp1325zx9.jpg

Walking Trail
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2096/imgp1322pc2.jpg

Smokehouse
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9118/imgp1333pv5.jpg

Gator
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/44/imgp1339vs5.jpg

Jack
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8048/imgp1335th3.jpg

Brian Krashpad
11-23-2008, 09:18 AM
With her old man.

Well, besides when she was a baby or toddler at outdoorsy things.

Friday night I got home from work to be notified my daughter (15) wanted to go to an early all-ages show at my fave local venue (same place I played last week). So I changed clothes, had something to eat, and off we went.

The show was a benefit for a school group helping those w/autism. My ex-bandmate Dave, the soundman there, gave her a pair of earplugs before I could make some out of a napkin or buy a pair. I introduced her to my friend Jen, the bartender (also a local musician, my band Crash Pad has played with her band many times over the years), and Dave first thing.

Dave actually had seen her last when she was a toddler or baby when we did the occasional band practice at my house back in the day. There were literally maybe 6 adults in the whole place (besides staff, which was Jen and Dave and a couple people on door) that stayed for any length of time. A group of another 7 or 8 people came in but I think they found it kind of awkward with all the high schoolers, so they stayed less than an hour. The rest of the adults besides me were a couple band members' parents and a couple regulars who are there a lot (apparently).

We had a good time.

Here is the flyer for the show:

http://www.gainesvillebands.com/images/flyers/in_rotation/08_11_21_1982.jpg

This is the club:

http://a249.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/121/l_84c2775178821863a692d168acffde90.jpg

As you can see, it's called 1982. I have yet to hear a good explanation why. It's street address is 919, so I know that ain't it.

This is the band Captain Fresh that played. They were our favorite band that night. In the pic they are playing onstage at 1982, but this is from some other show:

http://a673.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/112/l_666da3cc181edbf07fa429b6bf31b458.jpg

This is what the stage looks like. But the gear is from my side band when we played last week. The stage still looks the same. ;)

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/43/l_2d9cc267e1e445479bb10afb311dac47.jpg

This is my friend Jen. She tends bar there:

http://a310.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/115/l_851200196377b30d4004b07668e4bcf5.jpg

Here's us outside 1982:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9186/hannahsfirstshow112108al6.jpg