PDA

View Full Version : What's in your mp3/cd player right now?

ninja636
06-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Right now I'm listening to(in an mp3 player):
Testament, Arch Enemy, Jimi Hendrix(of course), Amon Amarth, MegaDeth, Metallica, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Evanesence, Edenbridge(Love those haunting, operatic female vocals..gets me hard :biggrin:), As I lay Dying, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Overkill, Steve Vai, Skid Row, Bon Jovi(noooo... not blow jovi), Iced Earth, Cradle of Filth, Kill Switch Engage, Rob Zombie, Motley Crue, Poison, Prong, Slayer, Anthrax, MotorHead, The Showdown, Krokus, Ozzy, and Europe. :w:

These are not in any specific order. Just what I'm listening to everyday right now.

MrSandMan
06-02-2008, 09:35 AM
....And Justice for All :biggrin:

ninja636
06-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Love the guitar and drum sound on that album. :2thumbups:

floydmoline
06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
The Sword, Goatsnake, Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, White Zombie, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Skidrow, Tom Petty

ninja636
06-02-2008, 07:23 PM
:2thumbups:Sweet, I haven't listened to STP in forever, think I'll go download some now. Thats a good mix to btw.

floydmoline
06-03-2008, 12:27 AM
lol i thought it was showing my age a little too much /shrug i guess if retro anything is cool i must also be :-D

ninja636
06-03-2008, 02:07 AM
I guess I fit that bill too. Last month I had some Soundgarden, Candlebox, Tom Petty, Cheap Trick and a few others in my cell phone/mp3 player. :biggrin:

Brian Krashpad
06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Cheap Trick's 1997 self-titled album. A nice return to form.

floydmoline
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
now there is a guy showing age....... hehehehe

Brian Krashpad
06-04-2008, 05:56 PM
now there is a guy showing age....... hehehehe

Well now I'm listening to MxPx's The Ever Passing Moment, from 2000.

Both these albums are newer than some of the things listed in the OP.

Should I assume Ninja is older than I? :bringit:

floydmoline
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
lol i meant no offence Brian :-D and still don't but.......

ninja's older music listed are "classics" or idols if you will, people who listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom commonly listen to hendrix, or metallica, megadeth etc.... BUT people who primarily listen to hendrix etc RARELY listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom (myself included lol)

MxPx makes one wonder, but the cheap trick deffinatly dates ya :-D
maybe not the specific album, BUT you added the "nice return to form" hehe.

on a similar point the me saying the new weezer is a nice return to the old sound, i grew up on the blue album :-\ weezer really is an underrated band IMO, the song may be cheesey and too "poppy", but those guitar tones are to die for.

Brian Krashpad
06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
lol i meant no offence Brian :-D and still don't but.......

None taken.

ninja's older music listed are "classics" or idols if you will, people who listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom commonly listen to hendrix, or metallica, megadeth etc.... BUT people who primarily listen to hendrix etc RARELY listen to cradle of filth, lamb of god, children of bodom (myself included lol)

Cheap Trick is a classic band in the power pop genre. As much as Hendrix is to acid rock or Metallica or Megadeth are in metal. A 22-year-old who is into power pop is going to listen to Cheap Trick. And yes, although I don't know too many 22 year olds (at least in real life) I do know of such a person.

I'm wondering where the "primarily" bit in your analysis comes from though. The OP is simply what's in your player "right now," not primarily.

MxPx makes one wonder, but the cheap trick deffinatly dates ya :-D
maybe not the specific album, BUT you added the "nice return to form" hehe.

Why would a young power pop fan not know about their classic albums (Self-titled, In Color, Budokan, Dream Police) and be able to compare something from '97? You can't turn on a classic rock station and not hear those.

I wouldn't presume that a person listening to Led Zep was as old as Robert Plant. I see kids running around malls all the time wearing Zep t-shirts.

If I had said I was listening to Handel's Water Music would you figure I was several hundred years dead? :biggrin:

Brian Krashpad
06-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Currently: "Rock*Punk*Hardcore," a 2004 Repossession Records compilation/sampler, with 2 songs each from 4 of their artists. I picked it up because it was free and because I'd seen lots of visuals of the female-fronted NYC band Slunt and wanted to hear more of their music.

Anyhow, the first half of the album doesn't appeal to me a bit. That probably dates me. The Slunt stuff is OK, and the last 2 cuts by a band called the Fight are decent modern punk, with exception of one spoken word/semi-rap bit in one of the songs, which just sounds silly.

Next up: The Seven Deadly Sins of Sick Dick and the Volkswagens, a local band I was in for about a minte and a half. (I'm not on the CD.)

ninja636
06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Hey dudes, if it helps any, I'm 38yrs old. I just happen to listen to a lot of different genres of music. I've even gone out and bought Cd's of artists I didn't really listen too when they were out(new) but remember hearing them cruising around in someone else's car IE: The Police, Men at Work, Duran Duran, etc. I don't try to play this stuff, but it's fun to listen to and reminisce about "the good old days", you know, old friends, old girlfriends, parties I went to, the first time I got drunk,stoned,layed, you get the picture. :smilez:

floydmoline
06-05-2008, 06:01 PM
i'm shutting up now, lol because i am surprised that a 38 year old would be listening to metal that new, and aggressive.... it's too new and aggressive for me lol and i'm 28, guess i'm surprised since most of the people i know are stuck in their teens, e.g. listen to the music they listened to in high school, and nothing older or newer than that (typically).... a small portion of the population i realise, but i figured that was the norm.

ninja636
06-05-2008, 06:49 PM
That's how I like it....people at work trip out when they here me listening to COB or Iced Earth. When they here me play the same on my guitar, it's even funnier to watch their expressions at first, and then they start thrashing! :w:

Brian Krashpad
06-05-2008, 09:02 PM
i'm shutting up now, lol because i am surprised that a 38 year old would be listening to metal that new, and aggressive.... it's too new and aggressive for me lol and i'm 28, guess i'm surprised since most of the people i know are stuck in their teens, e.g. listen to the music they listened to in high school, and nothing older or newer than that (typically).... a small portion of the population i realise, but i figured that was the norm.

Nah, don't shut up Floyd! It's an endearing quality, but you worry too much about hurting my feelings. I' m a 50-year old who stll listens to the punk rock, for heaven's sake, I've got thick skin!

Me, I listen to a lot of stuff, from the 50's through today in the rock genre. Though most maintream rock from the 90's on isn't a big fave. I like old school punk rock, garage rock, a lot of 60's rock, rockabilly/50's rock, roots rock, power pop, some alt-country...

floydmoline
06-06-2008, 02:29 AM
i'm not worried about hurting anyones feelings lol, i just don't like to piss people off and start flame wars, it always bugs me when there is a convo going along and i think all is good and i say the wrong thing one time, and don't even mean any malice, but someone mis-understands and takes offence and it becomes a war, i have no desire to argue about trivial things, but i do like to debate certain topics, as long as the discussion stays mature

i have peculiar musical tastes lol i like different musics from different eras, like the 60's garage rock / psychedelic rock shiver, blue cheer, the amboy dukes etc. the 70's progressive rock / metal led zeppelin, pink floyd, black sabbath the 80's i really like alot of new wave / synth oriented stuff like depeche mode, tubeway army, prince ( i know, no flaming please) ironicly IMO rock basically slumped, in the 80's nothing good really happened IMO until guns n' roses came out, then there was a flood of decent bands, 90's once again not much in rock or metal worth of my time, BUT alternative rock blossomed and i listened to the pixies, dinosaur Jr actually those guys are from the 80's but i didn't discover them until the early 90's flaming lips, jane's addiction, and RHCP, current era there is some newer metal coming out i really like especially with the metal genre expanding, the new stoner metal, and doom metal stuff i really like, the sword, monster magnet, goatsnake was really good i liked them but they are no longer together and never got signed, funny how tastes cycle like that heavy to light to heavy again.......

ninja636
06-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Everything is one big vicious cycle man. +1 on some of the bands you mentioned too! :2thumbups:

Brian Krashpad
06-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Next up: Hitmen 3, Bubbling Under, from 1994.

Dunno how to explain them. I thik they';re from somewhere in Scandinavia.

floydmoline
06-06-2008, 12:03 PM
what kind of music? i haven't heard of them before.

Brian Krashpad
06-06-2008, 01:38 PM
what kind of music? i haven't heard of them before.

They're kind of like a cross between early poppy punk (like Buzzcocks) and garage. Have you ever listened to Little Steven's Underground Garage? It's a syndicated radio show and also archived on the web. Hitmen 3 would fit in on that show perfectly.

Oops, found a myspace-- they're from Helsinki, Finland:

http://www.myspace.com/hitmen3featttgeigenschrey

The first couple songs they have there aren't necessarily representative of the album. Play the 3rd one, "Quantum," and the last one, "Final Irony;" those are what most of the album sounds like.

Anyhow, currently I'm listening to Meat Puppets Too High To DIe. Also '94, by coincidence.

floydmoline
06-06-2008, 09:40 PM
ok the meat puppets i know lol, like any nirvana fan i enjoy the hidden track :-P, backwater used to be one of my favorite songs, but i haven't heard it in eons lol

ninja636
06-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Now your talking french. I'll have to check them out. Like I said, I'm pretty open minded when it comes to good music. I do like , I forgot the name of the band, and too lazy to dig through my vinyl to find out, the old punk band that Henry Rollins started out in.

floydmoline
06-07-2008, 12:56 AM
black flag

Brian Krashpad
06-07-2008, 05:39 PM
black flag

That's right. And that's the version of the band that's the most well-known, with Rollins on vocals.

Oddly, however, Rollins wasn't the original vocalist, and he has said on more than one occasion that he thinks the band prior to his involvement was the best version of Black Flag. Basically, Rollins was a fan of the band and used to go to all their shows. When their prior vocalist dropped out, Rollins came in.

Currently: The Riverdales, self-titled, 1995, Lookout! Records. Heavily Ramones-influenced punk trio with a smidge of 50's doo-wop (think 2nd NY Dolls album) thrown in.

floydmoline
06-08-2008, 11:32 AM
there isn't *much* punk rock i care for, i guess some of the 80's groups i do like some call punk, but they are more art rock / goth / new wave than punk, like souixie and the banshees ..... blondie is concidered punk by some, i like them, but i don't think i'd call them punk lol

the only real punk i have cared for is: the clash - london calling, i used to listen to this album religiously, though at the time i didn't know what "punk" was i just thought it was good rock lol

the dead boys-- guns n roses turned me on to them, i don't think they ever made an album though, because all the stuff i have is live bootleged and i can't find any studio recordings heh

minor threat and fugazi - own every album, great alt rock nuff said :-P

if you haven't listened to fugazi GO BUY 13 SONGS!!!!!!! that's the name of the album

Brian Krashpad
06-08-2008, 11:47 AM
The seminal Dead Boys album is called "Young, Loud, and Snotty."

floydmoline
06-09-2008, 09:37 AM
sweeeeeeet thanks bro, gonna have to amazon.com that lol

monetmelly
06-09-2008, 02:46 PM
All the greats, beatles all the albums, bob marley, jimi, sabbath, the who, and micheal jackson. All lossless

Brian Krashpad
06-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Michael Jackson?

Eek.

I can see Jackson 5 for the fun/nostalgia factor, but not Mikey.

At any rate, I'm listening to something impossibly obscure, a group called Morella's Forest, indie rock with grrl vocals, album called "Tiny Lights of Heaven." At one point when I was writing for a music mag in the '90's I got on the PR mailing list of a tiny Dayton Ohio label called "Big Beef Records" that put out some neat tunes, so I got this one for free. Really nice. Albeit very mellow.

ninja636
06-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Sweet, going back to the Black Flag topic, "Slip It In" is still my favorite song. It always gets me in the mood :winkx:, me and the wife listened to it the other night.

Brian Krashpad
06-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Sweet, going back to the Black Flag topic, "Slip It In" is still my favorite song. It always gets me in the mood :winkx:, me and the wife listened to it the other night.

TMI!

:afraid:

floydmoline
06-14-2008, 05:09 PM
lol yeah maybe a little too much data........

JulieT
07-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Right now I'm on a mellow kick. I have Oisre playing right now.

Turbo_Hasse
08-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Slayer, Sepultura, Crowbar, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Down, Metallica, Pantera, Motörhead, Led Zeppelin, Damageplan and Buckethead.

MrSandMan
08-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Slayer, Sepultura, Crowbar, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Down, Metallica, Pantera, Motörhead, Led Zeppelin, Damageplan and Buckethead.

Nice list :w:

ninja636
08-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Slayer, Sepultura, Crowbar, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Down, Metallica, Pantera, Motörhead, Led Zeppelin, Damageplan and
Buckethead.

Nice list :w:

:2thumbups: :2thumbups:Yeah, sweet tunes man. Lately I've been on a Iced Earth, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth kick.

floydmoline
08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
my list as of recently has been Tyr, avenged sevenfold, the sword, taproot, and cradle of filth (normally i wouldn't listen to cradle, but i am required to learn "From the Cradle to Enslaved" for my current musical project :-O )

Brian Krashpad
08-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Desmond Dekker.

10 to 1 nobody here has ever heard of him.

Great early ska, most people today would call it reggae.

dayNage
11-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye

dayNage
11-21-2008, 05:00 PM
and the new Killers album, of course!

Brian Krashpad
11-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I need to get some Killers. They are very very good.

cubis
02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
the beatles, radiohead, the who, wu-tang clan, blackstar, achozen, system of a down, metallica, portishead, tool, between the buried and me, dear whoever, jimi hendrix, cypress hill, the doors

crazy_guitar_man
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
well right now i got the live journey album in haha im a sucker for the live version of wheel in the sky :w:

Turbo_Hasse
02-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Exhorder, Exodus, Exumer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Ozzy + much more great music :biggrin:

crazy_guitar_man
02-08-2009, 10:17 AM
i just took out a cd with a bunch of metallica on it :w: :w: :w:

Turbo_Hasse
02-08-2009, 11:33 AM
i just took out a cd with a bunch of metallica on it :w: :w: :w:

Man, I'm so fucking pshyced (spelling?), going to see them in march here in Sweden!!!

crazy_guitar_man
02-08-2009, 02:42 PM
aww man i wanna go see them too haha they are on my list to see

Turbo_Hasse
02-08-2009, 05:22 PM
It'll be awesome. Gonna be the second time I get to see them. :w:

crazy_guitar_man
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
well you will have to let me know after you get back from it in march haha :sweet:

Turbo_Hasse
02-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Will do. :winkx:

crazy_guitar_man
02-08-2009, 05:57 PM
haha and if i mean the least you could do is if they are giveing autographs is to maybe tell them you also have a friend *wink* *wink* haha no but really have a good time :w:

Juggernaut
02-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Lamb of God - Wrath

crazy_guitar_man
02-19-2009, 09:58 AM
today i decided i would go a little on the pop punk side i got some all time low, we the kings, and others like that, plus some atreyu and underoath :winkx:

R.B. Huckleberry
04-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Lots and lots of Cheap Trick, especially the All Shook Up album & the Found All the Parts EP/