PDA

View Full Version : The Worst amp you've ever owned?

jackal
04-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Ok the only reason i am starting this one is because of a piece of crap i have laying around that is sooooo bad i just have to complain!

The worst amp i've ever own and heard is my Behringer V-Tone GM108

Now i know its only a 15 watt amp and it's a modeling amp on top of that but, come on, i mean seriously, i have played may 15 watts before and they sound like a Mark IV compared to this crap of the crop..

Sorry just venting, lol

ninja636
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
I can't remember the name of it, but it was a cheezy pos from radio shack that my mom bought for me when she bought me my first guitar, a pos Lotus Van Halen ripoff. I later bought a Gorilla mini stack, that thing rocked!

characterzero
04-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Since I've only had 3 amps so far, the worst has to be the Fender Frontman 15G. I have however experienced a friend's behringer amp that was just horribly built. Without us ever knowing the reason, the effect select knob broke off and in general the amp was always bordering on falling apart.

Redline68
04-29-2008, 06:50 PM
I can't decide bewteen a Marshall MG combo or a Fender Bullet 150. There are times that I hate each of them, and other times that I think they sound OK for what they are.

floydmoline
04-30-2008, 04:03 PM
marshall MG by far :-O

MetalMac
04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I would have to say the Line 6 Spider II 15W amp. Not only does is sound like a toy, there are no useable settings, and the headphone jack is a joke.

Keep it Metal!!! :w:

indytruckboy
06-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I have been fortunate in my amps. My worst, would be a Valveking. I have a Gorilla, which is my first amp. So it's special. And it has this awesome fuzz to it. Great for blues. Perfect for blues, I should say.
So, a VK. No oofense VK guys. Like I said, I have been fortunate with amps and usually do some detective work before I buy.

ninja636
06-21-2008, 09:26 PM
I have been fortunate in my amps. My worst, would be a Valveking. I have a Gorilla, which is my first amp. So it's special. And it has this awesome fuzz to it. Great for blues. Perfect for blues, I should say.
So, a VK. No oofense VK guys. Like I said, I have been fortunate with amps and usually do some detective work before I buy.

Hey, is the Gorilla the little "mini stack" or just a combo? I had the "stack", and it had this "tube" switch or something like that. It was the most awesome sounding amp for what it was. I'd run an OD pedal in front and that thing would SCREAM. :w: I wish I could find one, I'd buy it for nostalgia's sake.

Brian Krashpad
06-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I had a little no-name solid state combo during my undergrad days that was pretty crappy. Have no idea what became of it, or even how big the speaker was. Maybe 1X12 or 1X10.

My Kustom 100 1960's solid state amp is no great shakes, at least the head, but is still way better (mainly because of the J.B. Lansing speaker which is epic) than that first combo. I also later had a 100W Marshall AVT hybrid that was OK, just bought it as a backup/band practice amp, but found I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping it.

Every few years I blow up my '70's Woodson solid state bass head, but since I got it free I ain't complainin'.

MrSandMan
06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Crate GFX-15. It was a little 8" combo practice amp with effects. I only bought it for something to play when I was out in Denver working. It was good enough for what I needed it for at the time. Not sure what ever happened to it... think I gave it away to one of my buddys or traded it.

MatrixClaw
06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I've honestly never owned a crappy amp.

I was going to buy an MG at one point though, glad I didn't and went with the Vox instead!

I guess the worst amp I've ever had would be the cheap Peavey starter amp I had as my first one. I wasn't all too fussed about tone then though so I don't really remember it being good or bad, but I'm sure it wasn't great! :winkx:

indytruckboy
07-18-2008, 06:57 AM

Hey, is the Gorilla the little "mini stack" or just a combo? I had the "stack", and it had this "tube" switch or something like that. It was the most awesome sounding amp for what it was. I'd run an OD pedal in front and that thing would SCREAM. :w: I wish I could find one, I'd buy it for nostalgia's sake.
It is a combo with a 8" speaker. It has a "Tube Reactor" knob. It clicks when you first roll it on and it supposedly adds tube sound as you go up. It seemed more like a gain knob w/reverb. But none the less, super fun little unit. I spent many a day as a youngster thinking I was a rock star with that thing.

JulieT
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM
When in doubt choose either a Vox or Fender Amp. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with either? I doubt it.

NORAMACTIVE
08-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Have got to say it was my Crate Gsx-40c, great sounding little double 10 " speaker Combo amp , but was always problematic to keep itself in working condition . Switches would crap out , buzzing , cracks in the IC board . And last but not least was that Woman ,......"THAT WOMAN" that really either ignorant or STUPID woman at "CRATE" tech help , you could always count on her to make your endless search for knowledge "ALOT WORSE" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,. I would never purchase another SLM item because of her!
Whewwww! do I feel better! Do I owe anything for this session ? :confused:

MrSandMan
08-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Have got to say it was my Crate Gsx-40c, great sounding little double 10 " speaker Combo amp , but was always problematic to keep itself in working condition . Switches would crap out , buzzing , cracks in the IC board . And last but not least was that Woman ,......"THAT WOMAN" that really either ignorant or STUPID woman at "CRATE" tech help , you could always count on her to make your endless search for knowledge "ALOT WORSE" ,,,,,,,,,,,,,. I would never purchase another SLM item because of her!
Whewwww! do I feel better! Do I owe anything for this session ? :confused:

Haha. Rep added !!!

fireman257
08-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Crate GFX-15. It was a little 8" combo practice amp with effects. I only bought it for something to play when I was out in Denver working. It was good enough for what I needed it for at the time. Not sure what ever happened to it... think I gave it away to one of my buddys or traded it.

LOL I have the GLX-15 Got it so I could pack it to work with me at the Fire Station it does what I need it to but yep it is not a very good amp. I have tossed around giving it away a few times but then I decide to keep it and a good thing I did I got rid of my fender Twin Amp and all I have now is my Marshall Half stack and don't like dragging it out just to try something so it helps having it weather or not it sounds good it works lol. :2thumbups: