PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever build their own amp?

Redline68
04-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone ever build one from a kit or from scratch? If so, how did it turn out?

characterzero
04-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Me personally, no. I'm just barely starting on effects and then working my way up. I heard somewhere that Warren Haynes has a hand-built amp, and you can't argue with his tone. Of course, relying on your own building competence is probably another story. Interested to see other responses from people who have actually tried this.

floydmoline
04-22-2008, 03:27 AM
i'vve never made a power amp tansformers are a bitch to locate for tubes, and ppower ttransistors are not something i have lying around, and are typically a bit pricey to "buy", but i have maade solid state preamps that were pretty good, but whenever i have tried to build tube pres they fail miserably, given i have only tried twice, and the transformers i tried to use were questionable, normally all i get is a glowing motor-boat, a box that glows orange and just sits there ticking while on, not actually amplifing anything heh

jackal
04-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Well i work for an electrical outfit and we carry amplifiers that go into fire panels for speaker pa systems.. So i took one of our power supplies, a back plate and the acctually 100 watt amp module and put it all together, it was ok, but almost no headroom, and looked like crap, lol... But they were bose amps...
I hope to one day make one from scratch