PDA

View Full Version : If you could only pick five effects

characterzero
04-06-2008, 10:37 AM
If you had to hypothetically pick out five effects to get you through all of your gigs, what would they be? I don't people copping out with multi-effect units, but more specifically I'm just interested in what types of effects you'd want. Right now I have wah, delay, distortion, and will soon be building an overdrive/pre-amp booster. I also really want a filter effect but I'm not sure if it would be overkill in addition to my wah.

Anyways, enough from me, what effects would you choose?

floydmoline
04-07-2008, 10:51 PM
wah, fuzz, OD, are all i "require" and maybe not even the wah :-D, but to fill out i'd go with a phaser, and a digital delay.

tidwop
04-12-2008, 11:18 AM
guyatone metal monster/ts808/line 6 delay/distortion phaser/ line6 modulation

metal rig right there, i remeber hearing something about a distortion phaser that phases your distortion, ive used normal phasers and they dont seem to do a good enough of a job moving my distortion they only seem to move my note, its hard to explain but you know what i mean.

characterzero
04-12-2008, 12:20 PM
guyatone metal monster/ts808/line 6 delay/distortion phaser/ line6 modulation

metal rig right there, i remeber hearing something about a distortion phaser that phases your distortion, ive used normal phasers and they dont seem to do a good enough of a job moving my distortion they only seem to move my note, its hard to explain but you know what i mean.

Hmm I've never heard of a "distortion phaser," but it sounds like a cool idea. Also I'm assuming you're talking about those bigger line 6 pedals. Those things look really cool, lots of features. I heard Line 6 is coming out with this new giant thing that's supposed to be all of those pedals combined into one package.

floydmoline
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
if a phaser isn't totally bending you sound into an unrecognisable mess of swoosh you are doing something wrong :-D all modulation effects shouldgo after you distortion, preferably in you effects loop to fully realise all the insanity they are capable of producing.

Brian Krashpad
04-14-2008, 10:28 PM
I get by with virtually no effects pedals.

If I'm playing with a non-master volume head, then obviously I need a distortion or overdrive pedal.

Other than that, for what I do the only other one I'd need is a volume pedal.

In addition to volume, I always use a tuner, but wouldn't necessarily need it inline during a gig. If a guitar gets so out that I can't tweak it quickly back by ear I tend to abandon it in favor of something tuned and ready in reserve.

So, if we've excised "tuner" from pedals, I only really need a disstortion and volume pedal.

This leaves me 3 more in an ultra-lux scenario. In that case, I'd choose a good analog delay, a chorus, and maybe a reverb. Last place is really a toss-up though. If not a reverb, then a wah-wah or phaser. But of those 3 for the final slot, a reverb, at least for what I do in the 2 side bands I'm in.

jackal
05-03-2008, 01:15 AM
5 crap i don't think i would ever use taht many, but hmmm let's see I think i would use a WAH, Noise gate, and equilizer if they even count, lol, but that it maybe .....maybe a tube screamer, if floyd made it, ;)

cubis
02-03-2009, 01:19 AM
EQ
Delay
Compressor
Chorus
Reverb

Entrant_21
02-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I love things like this!

Chorus - Small Clone
OD - TubeScreamer or my faithful DOD FX50
Delay - My lovely Behringer DD100
Distortion - Rat 2
True bypass looper, some of these pedals have bad bypass.

crazy_guitar_man
02-12-2009, 07:35 PM
chorus, clean meaning my guitar on rytheme and not through nething, distortion a reverb and a wah

R.B. Huckleberry
04-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Overdrive
Chorus
Delay
Wah
Tuner

...I'm cheating with the tuner, and I only mention chorus, delay & wah because I've had them plugged in once in the last 6 months. Really, my signal chain is tuner pedal---->OD pedal-----> amp. Anything more than that just feels...extravagant.

emeraldwilly
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
wah, fuzz, OD, multi modulation pedal, delay