PDA

View Full Version : Short scale & Long scale...

Monster
03-21-2008, 11:51 AM
well folks what do you prefer short or long scale guitars?? also seeing as short scale vs long scale the guitar will sound different and make the strings either seem tight or lose with the same size strings.. so what size string do you use on your scale guitars ..

i have a short scale and a long scale guitar.... both have 9s.. but wanna hear folks thoughts on if the shorter scale guitar would be better with heavier strings say 10s... or if it really dont matter....

floydmoline
03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
i play 12s on my les paul, and they "feel" like 10's do on a strat, you wouldn't think that a 1/4" would make much difference but it does :-\, i would prefer a longer scale les paul, since the note deffinition is cleaner on a longer scale, but LPs are comfortable to play /shrug, it really becomes an issue when de-tuning to me, C# is as low as i care to go on a LP just because any lower than that and it gets too muddy for me personally

Glo2ube
03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
I've found the string it's self makes a huge diff. Particularly the alloy composition. Some makes feel softer and warm sounding and some have a stiffer feel and brighter sound however these two things don't necessarily correlate to gauge. Now length does matter. I've had a lifeless guitar and put a longer neck and whalaa! it make the body resonate and it came alive. Changing pickups won't do that!

Monster
03-25-2008, 04:36 PM
I've found the string it's self makes a huge diff. Particularly the alloy composition. Some makes feel softer and warm sounding and some have a stiffer feel and brighter sound however these two things don't necessarily correlate to gauge. Now length does matter. I've had a lifeless guitar and put a longer neck and whalaa! it make the body resonate and it came alive. Changing pickups won't do that!

good reply... and i agree with what you have said.... :w:

Bizarro Stu
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
I prefer 25.5" scale guitars with 11-52's

My newest guitar (LTD EX-50) has a 24.75" scale and it sounds and feels pretty good, but I find myself feeling a bit cramped when soloing or playing high leads.

So for that fact alone I'm going for longer scale guitars from now on.

floydmoline
03-31-2008, 09:02 PM
especially when going to a gibson scale from a bass guitar..... makes the guitar scale feel like a kids toy lol

Redline68
04-10-2008, 07:20 PM
I primarliy play a short scale with 10'S or 11's. But, I have short stubby fingers and don't often play high on the neck.

characterzero
04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
My guitar has a pretty weird in between scale of 25.1". Right now I'm using 9's but will probably switch to 10s. I like the sort of middle-ground scale, but some soloing up the neck can be a little tight.