PDA

View Full Version : Clever idea... one guitar w/ 2 sounds-

MrSandMan
02-22-2008, 12:19 AM
My friend who plays guitar has a band called illkillya and they didn't have a bassist. So what he did was modded his Epiphone Flying V with two output jacks and two volume controls. One output was for the guitar amp head (hughes and Kettner) and the other output went to a bass head. He played 13s on his guitar and strategically eq'd the setup to sound good.

I think this is a cleaver approach at improvising a 2 man gigging band. lol

Yes he played shows like this that turned out successful.

Just thought I'd share :)

Monster
02-22-2008, 03:59 PM
very sweet idea...... i love it when folks try crazy things.... thanks for sharing the story

jackal
02-22-2008, 07:18 PM
thats is a cool idea, but i think it would depened on the style you play, a super technical style would not work..

but that is a great idea, very cool

MrSandMan
02-22-2008, 08:01 PM
I doubt he played lead :)

floydmoline
03-03-2008, 12:45 AM
sure could play lead would have a very interesting texture, i'm thining of a layla sound....... now metal on the other hand would be errrr not a good tone heh

torgeot
03-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I use a guitar synth in a few songs and it goes to a separate amp, and has some great tones, but I really have to change my style if I use both synth sounds and guitar tones at the same time. I have used it live a lot and it seems to be more of a pain in the ass than not.

Brian Krashpad
04-03-2008, 12:06 AM
My friend who plays guitar has a band called illkillya and they didn't have a bassist. So what he did was modded his Epiphone Flying V with two output jacks and two volume controls. One output was for the guitar amp head (hughes and Kettner) and the other output went to a bass head. He played 13s on his guitar and strategically eq'd the setup to sound good.

I think this is a cleaver approach at improvising a 2 man gigging band. lol

Yes he played shows like this that turned out successful.

Just thought I'd share :)

Some (online) acquaintances of mine did something similar. They have a trio: gal vocalist, guitarist, and drummer. The guitarist splits his signal and sends half to a bass rig and half to a guitar rig. They've opened for some big touring acts.

characterzero
04-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Wow that's pretty cool. I personally would be lame and just use an octave pedal or something. It must take a lot of work to set up his playing around the two-output deal. Is it just like the lowest frequencies that go through the bass output? I mean I'm assuming he must somehow still be able to play chords.

Brian Krashpad
04-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Wow that's pretty cool. I personally would be lame and just use an octave pedal or something. It must take a lot of work to set up his playing around the two-output deal. Is it just like the lowest frequencies that go through the bass output? I mean I'm assuming he must somehow still be able to play chords.

I specifically asked the guy if he uses an octaver for the bass signal, and he doesn't. Instead, he sets the bass rig to respond only to the lower frequencies of what he plays on guitar. His entire approach to playing guitar has to change as a result, because he has to make an effort to play low notes on a very regular basis to keep up the effect of a bass line.

characterzero
04-07-2008, 08:37 PM
That's impressive. Must take lots of EQing.

On the subject of cool styles incorporating basslines on guitar, check out this Stanley Jordan video. At around 2:40 he starts doing this awesome two hand tapping to play a bassline melody and chords to a blues at the same time. :bowz:
Innovation in guitar playing is really inspiring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ68hjB-RBo

Brian Krashpad
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
That's impressive. Must take lots of EQing.

Yeah, basically the signal to the bass rig has all the highs and probably most if not all the mids cut. I haven't seen them play live, although I did see another band that played as a duo (drums and guitar) do something similar (they may've used an octaver, though) and it was pretty cool. I kept instinctively looking around for a bassist.