PDA

View Full Version : Kirk Hammett's Amplifers through-out his career with Metallica

MrSandMan
12-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey guys found this link and thought I'd share. Plenty of Kirk Hammett Amp information and a good read http://www.freewebs.com/montyjay/kirkamps.html#ajfa

Notice their best album's used Mark IIC+ ... those were a limited amp. However, if you can get your hands on a Mark IIC, it can be modded to C+ at Mesa Boogie. I'm yet to try out a Mark III to see how close I can get the tone to some good days of Metallica. I have the Blackface Dual Recto (2 channel) and a chrome face (2 channel) but they're not the same. Those would be more comparable to the black album. Nice tone, but far from the almighty "Master of Puppets" tone.

Enjoy!

Monster
02-15-2008, 02:26 PM
thanks for the info.. pretty interesting stuff there......

i like kirk think he a good guitar player

MrSandMan
02-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Yeah, and his attitude seems to be pretty good.

But I did watch this youtube vid of him crying and throwing fits at practice before a show. All because his Mesa Boogie Road King wasn't eq'd right....

The sound guy came running like a whoooped puppy dog.

Funny part was Lars was harping on Kirk for not keeping proper time and losing his spot... (it was a song they didn't play since AJFA album)

I'll try to dig this up and post it.

jackal
02-16-2008, 01:35 PM
that site is super usefull i looked for a site like that since junior high.. thanx for posting it.. i dailed my mesa roadster to the settings... the mid treb and gain are all almost cranked... i thought that was hard on the amp?

senor_penguin
02-21-2008, 07:44 PM
saweet!!

V-Type
02-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Yeah Im one of the guys whom jumped on the Metallica wagon in 83. I thought Kirk was a great player on those first few releases. Seems after AJFA he and the rest of them were trending away from the Metalz and more too Radio Rock. Not really a bad thing but not my thing..
These guys sounded great through their Mesa's but equally as well through their early Marshall rigs.
If you guys have Comcast and their PayPer View Box you can go to Music>lessons>Kirk Hammett Randall amp Demo and they show a side shot of a wall of amps they apparently are using recently.
Hell I seen my Laney GH50L right behind his Randall Sig.
Talk about an underrated amp. The one channel thing isnt for everyone.

MrSandMan
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Yeah Im one of the guys whom jumped on the Metallica wagon in 83. I thought Kirk was a great player on those first few releases. Seems after AJFA he and the rest of them were trending away from the Metalz and more too Radio Rock. Not really a bad thing but not my thing..
These guys sounded great through their Mesa's but equally as well through their early Marshall rigs.
If you guys have Comcast and their PayPer View Box you can go to Music>lessons>Kirk Hammett Randall amp Demo and they show a side shot of a wall of amps they apparently are using recently.
Hell I seen my Laney GH50L right behind his Randall Sig.
Talk about an underrated amp. The one channel thing isnt for everyone.

I'd like to comment on the GH50L-

Those amps are truly underrated! Many big name players have the laney in their arsenal. Hell the GH100L is Iommi's main rig.

Noisy amps, but man can you get some amazing 'hydro' tones out of it. Playing leads through it is just amazing. Wet sounding (lack of a better word)

floydmoline
03-03-2008, 12:23 AM
out of curiousity what is a "hydro" tone?

MrSandMan
03-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Wet. Play a Mark IV and you'll hear what I mean. It's my made up description. :confused:

floydmoline
03-03-2008, 12:57 AM
i see.....