PDA

View Full Version : Gibson's cutting edge technology. Robotic guitar that tunes itself. [Poll]

MrSandMan
12-06-2007, 07:11 AM
What do you think of the Gibson robotic guitar that tunes itself? A man in Germany invented the concept.

http://www.gibson.com/robotguitar/index.html

In Select Stores December 7, 2007
First Run Limited Edition, only 10 per store

"It will not make you a better guitar player but it will allow the average player to access some very sophisticated tunings," Gibson Guitar Chief Executive Henry Juszkiewicz told Reuters on Tuesday.

The six nonstandard preset tunings were used on hits ranging from "Honky Tonk Women" by The Rolling Stones and Hendrix's "Voodoo Child" to Led Zeppelin's "Going to California" and Joni Mitchell's "The Circle Game."

Gibson says the robot guitar is aimed at amateurs who have a hard time keeping their guitars in tune, as well as professionals who now use technicians during concerts to keep about 100 guitars tuned to different keys.

"Professional guitar players use a lot of different tuning and people who listen to the stars wonder why they can't reproduce the same sound themselves," Juszkiewicz said.

Temperature variations, changing strings and simply playing the instrument have long been tuning challenges for guitarists with even the best musical ear.

But some have already poured scorn on the robot guitar.

"I'm sorry, this is just lazy. With stuff like this, tuning is going to be a lost skill," wrote LettheBassPlay on the www.ultimate-guitar.com Web site forum.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21791941/

What do you think? Log in to vote.

Brian Krashpad
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Silly gimmick.

characterzero
04-14-2008, 04:15 PM
It's a gimmick and is just asking for someone to forget the tuning is on and just screw up all their strings playing a bar chord. If it wasn't so horribly expensive, maybe it would be worth it for someone... but really just buy a tuner and tune yourself.

Redline68
04-22-2008, 07:36 PM
I agree with the above posters...it seems very gimnicky. And very pricey for a gimmick. Buying used seems like a crazy idea since I would guess the electronics warranty would be voided.

tidwop
04-26-2008, 07:31 PM
i tried one, they said it was perfect tuning, wrong i put it to Drop b and put it through a tuner and it was over actually by alot considering they said it wouldnt be alot, i have korg dt-10 and it was off by one of those lights and mine isnt flattend or anything so i think its bs and also considering gibson syndrome thats been going on its a final struggle.

MrSandMan
04-26-2008, 10:55 PM
Drop B is pretty damn low. It's nice you gave the Gibson Robo guitar a good test tho. :sweet:

Servant
04-28-2008, 02:12 PM
What do I do in between songs - engage the crowd???? Nah! :smilez: