PDA

View Full Version : Slash top 5 gutiarist?

MrSandMan
03-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Do you think Slash is currently the top 5 guitarist in the world right now? He seems to be everywhere right now, from GuitarCenter to GuitarWorld gushing all over him. +Plus with his new Appetite for Destruction Gibson (http://www.gear-vault.com/gibson-slash-gnr-les-paul-guitar/) coming out, he seems to be widely promoted - more-so than any other guitarist.

Who do you consider to be the CURRENT top 5 guitarists right now?

scottywompas
04-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Joe Bonnamossa is more current.

If your talking shredders there's a ton of them out there. Probably too many to name. I think the thing with Slash is he's unique. He does his thing and he manages to keep himself relevant in the guitar universe.

Scott

MrSandMan
04-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I agree his style is very unique. I like that he's not a shredder. His solo's seem to come more from the heart and less from the fingers, imo.

Not bashing shredding, just never connected with the extreme technical shred stuff personally.

Redline68
04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Slash is OK, but I am absolutely sick of seeing him and that stupid hat everywhere I look. The guy is on every mag, in every guitar shop, and in every toy aisle.

MrSandMan
04-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Say whaata?

http://www.therockdose.com/files/2008/10/slash1.jpg

speakerjones
04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
In terms of popularity? Maybe. He's definitely experiencing a lot of attention lately between his autobiography, Guitar Hero, a new solo album, etc. He probably has a really good publicist and management.

In terms of playing ability? No way. Even if we're not talking on a technical level, there are many more prolific players out there. Not knockin' him too much, he's a great player. Just not top 5 material. IMO, of course.

MrSandMan
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Just curious and probably a hard question to answer but who do you rank as your top 5 currently?

speakerjones
04-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Of guys that I would call current (not my old school guitar heroes like Gilmour, Hendrix, Page, or Townsend), in no particular order:

1. Josh Homme (QOTSA, Them Crooked Vultures)
2. Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead)
3. Nels Cline (Wilco, Nels Cline Singers)
4. Derek Trucks (Allman Bros, DTB)
5. Jack White (White Stripes, Raconteurs)